Back pain as an indicator of MM

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sarajmorgan 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

alpenator
    Participant

In 2 weeks I have read so many posts on this forum about back pain being ignored by GPs.
    After a knee replacement op, and problems with blood count, in Nov 2012 I was at my GPs most weeks with worsening back pains.
    After trying every painkiller my GP said nothing more could be done except massage.
    It does seem to me that GPs are lacking in knowledge about symptoms of MM.

Perkymite
    Participant

You are absolutely right. MyelomaUK has run GP awareness programmes, several times I think.

I personally posted one of their diagnoses charts to each of the 36 GP's that work in the Taunton Area in 2010. I recommend that all forum members, If you are mobile and [b][i]up to it do it[/i][/b]. Check out the Surgeries in your area, in the phone directory, telephone each one and find out the names of the Doctors and then drop a copy marked "personal for" to each one into their surgery. It is not a lot of work and it may not help you BUT it will help many, many other people. And, most importantly it will raise Myeloma's profile in the medical profession.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

p.s. There is a bonus you might forget all that pain whilst you are dong it:-D

sarajmorgan
    Participant

My name is Sara and I have been given responsibility for our GP education programme at Myeloma UK.

Myeloma UK is currently in the process of updating our Myeloma Diagnosis Pathway which we distribute to GPs to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of myeloma, back pain being one of the most common presentations.

Alongside this, I am about to appeal on the Discussion Forum, for any patients who have had either good or bad experiences with their GPs aroud diagnosis, to come forward and speak to me. Either lengthy delays, many repeat visits to the GP, a feeling of frustration that the GP is not taking symptoms seriously, or conversely, that the GP has dealt with and investigated symptoms promptly and efficiently resulting in a rapid diagnosis.

This will form the basis of a report which outlines the main problems that patients tend experience in being diagnosed and if you would be willing to participate in a short telephone interview to discuss your experience, I would very much like to hear from you by email: sara@myeloma.org.uk. I can then arrange for a convenient time for us to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Sara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Back pain as an indicator of MM’ is closed to new replies.