Being Silly over Mince Pies

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

Stephen never had a sweet tooth for sweets, biscuits fruit pies etc. An occasional square of chocolate (I have an “occasional” bar of chocolate very regularly and I scoff the whole bar). His one love was mince pies. From the moment they hit the shops he would stack up. He’d the longest sell by dates he could find and squirrel them away. I haven’t bought any since he died 3 years ago Christmas pudding has always been my preference. Shopping before Christmas I did by a box of mince pies. That was fine and I put them away with the other bits and pieces. It all changed when I opened them to heat up a couple. As I opened the box I could smell them, and I promptly burst into tears. Even after three years some things still manage to “bite me on the bum” I hope everybody had a happy and healthy over Christmas Love Gill

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Gill I noticed this and wanted to post a reply. My Colin passed away last August. There just seems to be so many things that I am struggling to enjoy- we enjoyed cooking, eating, drinking, sport. All of those things seems to be a struggle to do now rather than an enjoyment. I know its still early days and I wondered how you have managed to get that far. I completely get the mince pies. Sights, sounds and smells really can make you feel sad. I cry every time Mum and I go for a cup of tea in M & S because if we were out shopping we would go there for lunch. Best wishes Vicki

Gill
    Participant

Hi Vicki, I have already tried to reply to your message but I lost the post somewhere in the ether. Apart from sport which Stephen loved and I loathe, it seems that you and Colin lived the same life as us. We would spend whole Saturday afternoons trying out different recipes with very few disasters. Once Stephen had to stop working we went out to eat once a week. Nothing posh, a Carvery or “one price” Chinese. We would go a tiny bit up market for birthdays etc. I haven’t been out to eat for months, Once the weather gets warmer I will venture out. I take a book with me and eat in places like the Carvery I ask to sit in the snack bar section, although I have the Carvery food. I cannot face sitting on my own in the main restaurant surrounded by couples and families. As for drinking we both loved wine, although when Stephen got ill he said that alcohol tasted foul. As I said very similar lives to you and Colin. I think we all move forward a little bit as time goes by. When Stephen first died I’d wake up in the morning, and in the few seconds between being totally sleepy and awake I would think he had already got up, forgetting he was dead. I am sure that things will always come back and “bite me on the bum” As for the mince pies, I think it was because I had not bought them since Stephen died.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Being Silly over Mince Pies’ is closed to new replies.