Bisphosphonate post transplant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  alicenorth 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Carolsymons
    Participant

Another question… I am 45 days post transplant and the consultant said to resume the bisphosphonate which in my case is parmidronate. I haven’t had any since late November. Is it usual to resume this so early after transplant, or did others have to wait till after the 100 day mark? Seems that different doctors recommend different treatments, but I am keen to minimise the use of any drugs.

Carol

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Carol,

Congratulations of your great results at day 42 🙂

As with everything MM related it seems to depend on the individual hospitals and doctors. My husband Phil has Zometa and he never stopped having it. The day he was admitted for his SCT he had his monthly Zometa and this has carried on monthly with no break since his SCT which was in December 2012. We had heard that it is only given for two years by some hospitals but others seem to stay on it longer, it will be two years in May since Phil’s diagnosis and when he started on Zometa so we will see what happens then.

Parmidronate may be different though?

I hope you are enjoying the lovely weather we are finally having in London, it should make your walks a bit more pleasant.

Megan

Helen
    Participant

Hi Carol
    I had my last zometa a week before SCT then it started again at the 3 month mark. It was stopped after 2 years, following MRI, as I have no obvious bone involvement… So if you have bone lesions the recent theory is to stay on it if there are no severe side effects.
    Love Helen

alicenorth
    Participant

I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have only had CTD. I am currently treatment free and in complete remission. the exception is monthly zometa. I have no bone issues. My understanding is that I have zometa because of its anti-myeloma qualities. Apparently, for this reason, I will be on it indefinitely, rather than just 2 years, which is the norm, apparently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bisphosphonate post transplant’ is closed to new replies.