Blue Badge Refused

This topic contains 17 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Babs 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Lolly
    Participant

hello All,
    I applied for Steve to have a Blue Badge but was shocked to have it refused. Has this happened to any one else

Thanks Lolly

Beverleys
    Participant

Hi Lolly

Think it's today your husband has SCT so hope all goes ok. My husband was 60 when he had it. Coped ok ish with it but it took a while before his new stem cells kicked in which was a bit worrying. Even more worrying was they keep getting his name wrong so I was worried he may have been given someone else's!!
    8 years on though and he is now on maintenance revelamid and Dex…I guess we never thought we would get to this 8 years
    Re blue badge…afraid never gone down this line
    All the best to,you both

Beverley
    X

Michele
    Participant

Hi Lolly

Did you get given a reason for a refusal?

I know MM folk are entitled to a blue badge but to be quite honest I've never applied for one as I don't feel I need it yet.

Maybe Steve is so mobile and healthy looking at the moment that the doctor thinks him still able rather than disabled?

🙂

eve
    Participant

Hi Lolly
    Square boxes and round pegs!!!!!,for example how far can he walk without pain???? Answer. Cannot,!!!

You should answer what he is like on a bad day,for example,the day he comes out of Kings!!!! ,appeal explain that he is having a SCT and needs assistance,plus blue badge as cannot walk very far 10 metres.!!! Eve .

Davehogan
    Participant

Hi Looly I had my SCT on June 12th 2013 , im now back at work full time but need my blue badge as I can get out of breath easily , so go back and tell them walking is an issue .
    Good luck

tom
    Participant

Hi Lolly and Steve

Well I got my blue badge and I can walk a lot better than I did when I had SCT, you don't have to tell fibs Steve will need the Blue badge as he won't be able to walk far for a long time and he will be out of breath, go and reapply and as been said tell the, on the form the worst days.

Good luck

Tom Onwards and Upwards x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Lolly

I have a theory that they refuse everyone a Blue Badge first time on principle!! Do apply again and as Eve says, do say how it is on Steve's very worse days. The trouble is the bar is always being raised higher. It does help to have someone experienced beside you when you are filling the mammoth booklets in! Have you got a Disability Action Group near you, or have you contact with a MacMillan Nurse.

Good lunch for Steve's SCT and the Blue Badge.

Mavis

janw
    Participant

Hi Lolly

It depends what you actually stated on the form when you replied to the questions on how far Steve could walk without experiencing problems. On my initial application form, I stated 5 to 10 minutes walk at a very slow pace, but did not stipulate the actual distance. My application was originally refused because of the estimated distance I could walk over 5 – 10 minutes as worked out by the council. In the letter of refusal, my local council replied:

The Department of Transport who administer the Blue Badge Scheme stipulate the following, "It is envisaged that badges will generally only be issued to people who are unable to walk, or who are able to walk only with excessive labour and at an extremely slow pace or with excessive pain. They need to show that they should not walk very far because of the danger to their health". In accordance with Department of Transport guidelines individuals who can walk in excess of 80 metres (87.5 yards) and do not demonstrate very considerable difficulty in walking through any other factors are not deemed as eligible.

You can reapply, ensuring you detail any pain medication which Steve is taking, state the actual distance he can walk (you need to measure this!) and if necessary ask your local GP to provide information to support your application. Hope this helps.

Regards
    Jan x

alpenator
    Participant

Cant understand this as I had no problem at all as I really did have difficulty walking when I applied (and still do.)

I'd try again and 'egg the bread' a bit when you answer the questions about walking distances.

Gill
    Participant

Stephen's chemo nurse told him to apply. She said as soon as you put down, your condition and what treatment you are receiving (especially chemotherapy) they automatically issue a blue badge.

We had never even thought about it and the nurse with her was amazed. Karen said she told all her patients to apply. The form went to her and she ticks the boxes truthfully, whether it is chemo or radiotherapy. She said it is the treatment you are receiving not the illness.

She went on to say that mm is a shitty condition. You don't get much so get what you can. Tut Tut a nurse using bad words:-)

Stephen refused to use his badge on a "good" day. He was more than grateful that his mobility was OK and said that somebody who needed it should have the space. My daughter was still in England at the time (she has since moved to America). One day while parking at the supermarket, she saw a woman park right next to the entrance in the first disabled space. The woman got out, locked her car and started to move off to the shop.

Donna said to her "excuse me you've forgotten to display your Blue Badge". This middle aged woman got all girly giggly and said "I haven't got one" Donna is educated and polite, but she was fuming. She said to the woman "My Dad has a Blue Badge He would give it to you if you would swap it for his terminal cancer"

The reply? "Oh don't be so stupid I am not going to be long" Donna told me that if she'd had a different personality She would have let all this woman's tyres down. As it was she never quite forgave herself for not deflating the tyres.Stephen died last September. His Blue Badge is still in the kitchen drawer and does not run out until February 2015. Would I ever use it? NO NO NO.

Do re-apply, get your medical team to endorse your application As Karen said you don't get much.

PS obviously the rules may have changed but definitely ask Steve's medical team. xx

love from Gill xx

eve
    Participant

Hi Lolly

How are you getting on,could not reply to your private e mail,as your profile on this site does not allow it.

We had the same thing about beds at Kings,they do not understand some people have travelled for hours,and also have to get back!!!,I was so angry as the bed was available but area not cleaned,so told the sister I would do it myself!!!the cleaners were soon there.
    This 4 hour journey will take its toll on you Lolly,and you are going to need all your energy and strength when Steve comes home,when Steve sleeps try to get your head down in the chair,you do need to rest.

SCT are the norm there!!!,it goes on everyday ,so he is getting the best care,it will kick in this week,do not worry about him not eating encourage him to drink,if he fancies something like milk or ice cream,go to the kitchen and ask for it!!!,
    Tears will just wear you out!!!,Steve will be in his own little world,getting the best care possible,in a few weeks you will be looking back and just be glad it's over,once Steve starts recovering,it will be very fast,you will see the change over night.
    Love Eve

jeff605
    Participant

With ref. to the blue badge problem, the Macmillan nurse filled the horribly long form in for me and the badge came through the post a few days later. Perhaps it helps to have help from someone familiar with the system and form. Although I can walk a short distance, due to my back problem I actually need the disabled space to open the door wide enough to get out of the car ! I quite understand the travelling / driving difficulty, I only live some 25 miles from the hospital which I can just about manage to drive, but by the time I've spent anything up to 6hrs in the hospital (is it only my clinic that runs 1 1/2 to 2 hrs late) I don't trust myself to drive myself home I feel so whacked out.Jeff

Johno
    Participant

Hi,
    Well I have just submitted by Blue Badge application, I can't imagine how it can be refused. But we will see, I will let you know.
    John

mandyphillips41
    Participant

Hi Lolly

I was the same as Jeff 605, the macmillan nurse filled out the form for me too, as I live on the Wirral and use the Mersey Tunnel to get to Liverpool, I was also issued with a free fast tag so I don't have to pay the toll fee.
    Ask the macmillan or District nurse for advice on the blue badge.

Good Luck

Mandy x

steverobinson
    Participant

Contrary to popular opinion the blue badge is not diagnosis related ie MM does not in itself automatically entitle you to it. The scheme revolves around our "range " without severe pain and discomfort. Furthermore the condition must be deemed to be permanent other wise every one on crutches with a broken ankle would get one.
    So describe your bad days on the form and on your good days use your conscience.
    It easy to get angry with the idiots who use our spaces but I assume their disability is they can't read the sign or an IQ below 50!!
    Having said that my ex commando mate in a wheelchair has measured our local sainsburiys aisles and it just over 3/4s of a mile all the way round. His argument is to have separate wheelchair spaces but further from the door and covered so he doesn't get soaked getting in and out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Blue Badge Refused’ is closed to new replies.