Bone marrow biopsy sedation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cath 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

cath
    Participant

I had 2 biopsies 8 and 9 years ago which were extremely traumatic, so this time asked for sedation. I was told it was not available. Unfortunately I had an awful experience, gas and air no help. Apparently it was technically difficult.
    Advice please…how can I get sedation for the next one?
    I am just starting treatment and am terrified my brain will let me down again at other stages of treatment.
    I have mentioned I have a history of trauma …but trauma informed care does not seem to have arrived in haematology in my area!

terrys
    Participant

Hi Cath. I recently had my third bone marrow biopsy and it continues to be a very challenging experience for me. I am reasonably competent with the gas and air but this is not the answer. I understand how important the achieved results are and how they inform diagnosis. However, surely there is a more patient friendly procedure.
    Best wishes,
    Terry

mariposa
    Participant

Hi.I had a biopsy done in October. I had 3 injections of local anesthetic which made the process bearable, although it wasn’t nice when they were going through the bone, I managed OK.
    I wasn’t offered gas and Air. It might be worth getting some rescue remedy from the chemist to ease your anxiety.
    Try not to tense up because that makes it harder for them and worse for you.
    Hope you get on OK x

cath
    Participant

Thanks for your helpful replies. Has anyone else in other areas of the country been offered sedation for bone marrow biopsy?

mariposa
    Participant

Where are you ? I’m in Bristol

susantr
    Participant

Hi
    A bit to late to respond, but I had 4 BMATs within 10 months and for each and every one I was sedated. I told the dr no way, no how are you doing this procedure without sedation. I used to work in Haematology as a secretary and would often hear the patients screaming in clinic when they had their BMAT. To this day I would refuse unless they gave me sedation. Sue

cath
    Participant

Thank you Susan, that’s helpful to know that sedation is possible.
    I’ll insist next time!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.