Brain fog

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mmsuffrah 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nanny52
    Participant

I had 4 months of velcade before a sct in December 2017. Apart from 4 weekly zometa infusions I am receiving no further treatment at the moment. I’m feeling quite well apart from tiredness but brain fog is really bothering me. Occasionally I have to visualise the thing or place I’m trying to remember before I can carry on with my sentence. I have to admit I find it really upsetting forgetting the word I want when I’ve never had to worry about it before. I do try and do a crossword and soduko every day to keep my brain at least half active! I know at my age (66) I should expect a bit of memory loss but this is a bit much! Does anyone else have this problem?

julierennie
    Participant

I can definitely relate to this. I lose my train of thought constantly, it takes me ages to get myself motivated and the memory is shocking.

nanny52
    Participant

Thanks for coming back so quickly.it’s good to know someone else suffers as well. I was beginning to think I was on my own!

taffd
    Participant

Since chemo finished in Feb 2017, I’ve had a cognitive impairment. As well as the symptoms you describe, I have no internal dialogue. I cannot think, plan or ponder. With my long and short memory being virtually gone, I literally live in the moment.

I have to say I see this as a plus, as I’m incapable of worrying about having MM, or indeed, anything else.

It also means that my quality of life, which might be intolerable for some, is fine for me. I get all the quality from a grandchild’s smile.

robert0439
    Participant

Hello June,
    I seem to be one year behind you as it was in December 2018 when I had my Autologous STC and since then, I have received around six zometa infusions which again I have every month. I too am 66 and am currently feeling really well. So well that I now only see my consultant every 3 months instead of every 2 months. This is mainly because my Paraprotein level has dropped to zero, which I am over the moon about.

As we will no doubt both agree, the whole process is pretty brutal but for me at the moment it has been all worth while.

I too feel tired at times but not fatigued. A quick sit down and some times a nap puts me back on track. I have not noticed any serious issue with forgettng things or not rememebering words, but know that this has happend at times where I put it down to the age I am. My wife tells me that I forget what she has told me but I have done this for the last 45 years and assume it is somewhat a male thing….

I would not say that I now lead a very physically active life but do keep mentally busy. I enjoy reading, finance issues, computing with some programming, so my grey cells are certainly very active. My previous background prior to retirement was aeronautical engineering, so I spend time in my garage pottering on projects which I have set myself.

I personally think that you are doing the right thing in keeping as you say, your brain active as much as possible which has to help. Try not to worry and just go with the flow. I wish as I do everyone else with Myeloma, all the very best.

Kind regards,
    Robert

nanny52
    Participant

Thanks for the positive responses. Unfortunately apart from my myeloma in the last year I’ve also had two operations ony eyes to repair the macula holes which appeared coincidentally during my chemo do apart from not being able to drive I’ve had major problems with reading as the condition affects my focus . I’ve had fantastic support fromy family and friends and although my paraprotein levels have started to creep up I keep smailing!

mmsuffrah
    Participant

I too have some irritating moments when words or phrases get stuck in the fog, but only annoying not necessarily limiting. You may be interested to see another forum’s recent comments:

https://myelomabeacon.org/headline/2019/02/19/a-northwest-lense-on-myeloma-learning-to-be-forgetful/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  mmsuffrah. Reason: Link function did not not seem to work?!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.