Cold& Cough

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  susantr 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

nickalwyngmail-com
    Participant

Hi – I had Stem Cell transplant in September 2019 and after about 6 months recovery I have been fine. However last 6 months had 2 sets of colds / coughs which have been impossible to shake off and have lasted for nearly 6 weeks. Coupled with the horrible winter we have just experienced spent most of the time stuck indoors feeling completely washed out. Just wondered if others who have experienced similar problems in getting over everyday colds / coughs.

kh0305

Hi
    Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling to recover from the colds and coughs. There do seem to have been a lot more around this year, that are stubborn and refuse to go away! My dad had his SCT back in 2013 and I have noticed that when he dies get a cold they linger longer than for the rest of us, particularly the coughs. I know a lot of people as well that don’t have MM that have struggled to shake colds off this year too – probably due to us not having much exposure to the bugs over the covid period and less contact.
    Hope you manage to avoid any further colds now the weather is picking up. Take care xx

susantr
    Participant

Hi
    I had my sct in 2016 and the first 2 years was cold after cold which always developed into a chest infection, always requiring antibiotics and sometimes requiring steroids as well. As we had to wear masks during Covid, I found I had no infections, however since removing masks (recently) I have had one infection after another. My Ig’s are normal. I think we just have to be careful. For me I had 50 years of immunity which was wiped out after sct, the only remaining immunity I had was strangely to tetanus. It takes time to build back up again, I believe. Sue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.