Coming off of Dexamethasone

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  andyg 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

georgieporgie
    Participant

Hi,

My father has just finished his first cycle of VDC. He was on a 3 week cycle. Now he has a 6 day break but he has started to get headaches. I have read online that could be weaning off the Dex.

Has anyone else ever experienced this if so what has worked to get rid of the headache.

Paracetomal doesn’t seem to be working.

Thanks in advanced 🙂

janw
    Participant

Hi

I hope your father’s treatment is going Ok with VDC. I started my first relapse treatment of VDC about the same time as your dad. I have experienced a range of various side effects, but fortunately have not experienced a headache.

Both the Velcade and/or the dex might be responsible for his headaches. If you look on the Myeloma Beacon website under their discussion forum section and type in dex headache or velcade headache, there are a range of discussion topics under these two headings which might be useful for you to read and discuss with your father as regards pain relief medication which can be prescribed to help manage headaches.

Your father should take the opportunity to discuss his side effects with his consultant at his next consultant’s visit, or his myeloma nurse. They will have a wealth of experience and be able to advise him on the best course of action to help with the relief from the headache pain together with any other side effects.

I hope your father’s treatment works well and manages to reduce his myeloma markers. I have began to suffer with more fatigue during the second cycle of the treatment and look forward to next week’s rest from the drugs. Dex has kept me wide awake last night and no doubt tonight, but I know that I will be exhausted for the next three days catching up with lack of sleep. My PN has been a lot better since the dose of Velcade was reduced to try to contain any nerve damage.

Jan

georgieporgie
    Participant

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice I really appreciate it.

We are indeed going to speak with the consultant however he hasn’t had a great path so far so we are getting a second opinion as he doesn’t seem to be responding to treatment. bless him.

I wish you all the best and hope this works well for you.

P.s Dad also suffered with fatigue after his 2nd cycle.

x

andyg
    Participant

Hi Georgie.

Just a little titbit Dex can dehydrate you which will cause headaches. Is your father keeping up his fluid intake.

As to not responding to his first treatment that is not uncommon. Everyone has a different journey with myeloma and reaction to the drugs be it side effects or responding treatment wise can be very different.

I myself went through all the standard treatments with no response. I was then tried on Revilimid and Dexamethasone with little response till they added Cyclophosphamide to the mix which got my PP’s down and kept me stable. So don’t despair at your dads failure at the first treatment the are others for him to try.

Fatigue goes together with myeloma like a horse and carriage does unfortunately.

Good luck with your dads journey  myeloma.

Every day is a gift.

Andy xx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Coming off of Dexamethasone’ is closed to new replies.