Constipation!!!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi all

I know from earlier posts that this is something many of you have suffered from. I have just had a very bad patch – I think as a result as of starting additional pain relief. I had to have suppository, via the district Nurse, which cured the last bout, but I can't get things back to anything like normal. Not helped by lack of movement and problems with my teeth which make eating fruit difficult.

Any suggestions very welcome. I am wondering if leaving off my regular morphine tablets would help?

Look forward to any responses!!!!

Best wishes to you all.

Mavis x

Triglet
    Participant

Hi Mavis

I'm sorry to hear about your 'difficulties' at the moment. There is nothing worse than constipation except from [i]pain[/i], in my estimation. The first makes you feel wretched, do and the second can drive you out of your mind.

Please, please, whatever you do don't give up your pain killer/s without first discussing it with your Drs/Nurse. They will advise you and adjust any dosage so that you remain pain free. If you just leave it off, it could result in you having to cope with pain [i]and[/i] the constipation. Constant pain is very waring and will bring anyone down very quickly. None of us needs or wants that. Take a tip from a fool and keep pain free, then begin to sort any other problems out.

There are a lot of over the counter remedies that can help, I'm thinking Senna tablets as a first stop. Also I make sure that I include a heaped teaspoonful of All Bran on my cereal every day ( no need to eat bucketloads of the stuff) I find that is good. Plus if you can, drink fresh orange juice (Tropicana) during the day now and again. Of course, lots of water too.

Exercise is good but if you can't get around much, then chair exercises may help. Your McMillan nurse should be able to guide you. If you can stand, then just do that for a few seconds every hour or so, and if you can manage to totter round the room so much the better.

But please keep yourself pain free, or else you will not be able to concentrate on anything and feel even less like trying.

Kindest Regards
    Stay Well

Rosie x

OutdoorsPaul
    Participant

Hi Mavis
    I have had similar "experiences" when in hospital (its the food and less mobility),when discharged I tend to eat prunes in my cereal with some all bran,fresh coffee in a morning,lots of fresh green vegetables and have tried the senna capsules.Always works after a few days.
    I agree with Rose about the pain killers check with the medics first-they might even prescribe something to help you go.
    take care paul:-)

tom
    Participant

Hi Mavis

Well I for another one know how you feel with [u][b]"That" [/b][/u]problem am sorry to say, but I was given "Strong Codanthramer" 10 mls at night as and when needed it worked wonders 😀 till I thought I got through the [u][b]"That"[/b][/u] bit but it was still with me. all sorted now though might even be a little bit loos since my SCT :-S but hey ho you cant have everything 😎

Hope its soon sorted and as the others say do keep on with your pain killers.

Love and Gentle Hugs

Tom "Onwards and upwards" xxxx

Michele
    Participant

Mmmmmmmm….I had this problem when I was on CTD. I was told that it could be quite dangerous so moved quickly to treat the "problem".

Apart from drinking plenty of water I had porridge or weetabix for breakfast with dried prunes and apricots scattered on them, mixed nuts, dried figs, and plenty of fruit and veg. When at its worst I also took a few Sennakot tablets.

It did the trick!

Hope this helps!!!!
    😀

foxy555
    Participant

Hello Mavis

My husband Peter who is on his 5th cycle of CDT also experienced this problem. He tried Senokots etc etc. The consultant gave him LAXIDO on one of his monthly prescriptions, an orange powder drink. Certainly did the trick and you can buy it from a pharmacy without prescription. Costs about £7, but what the hey!!! as long as it does the trick.

Good luck, hope this helps

Ann

jackiegodden
    Participant

Hi Mavis
    I work in a care home and alot of our residents use lactolose or movical as this keeps the motions soft! We only use senna as a last resort, please talk to your doctor. Good luck,
    Jackie

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Mavis,

I have no qualms about calling myself an expert when it comes to the dreaded constipation. I have had some really bad times which included a lot of pain, stress and absolute exhaustion.

If you are prone to being constipated then take at least one Movicol – Laxido powders once a day. If you feel it is taking hold then take three a day, Morning – Noon – Night. If you feel it has taken hold and you feel impacted then don't hesitate to take six powders over a three hour period. You can also get tubes of mini-laxatives which help to get you moving from the bottom end.

Constipation is no joke… it can be one of the most painful and distressing times of your illness… caused, once again by the medicines designed to help our disease.

Dried apricots and other dried fruits are helpful but if you have trouble chewing then an investment in a smoothie machine is worth its weight in gold… you get all the goodness without having to masticate the fruit and veg to pulp form.

And as funny as it might sound drink and drink and drink… there is a connection and keeping yourself hydrated and peeing freely will help no end with your digestion.

Regards

Dai.

eve
    Participant

Hi Mavis

I do not think you can be to relaxed about constipation,as it will create all sought of problems.
    Slim got to the position needing ,Movicol Laculose plus Senna tablets,even now I nag him about his bowels,Movicol Twice a day will help your bowels to work at moving the contents,rather than just getting rid of it,so the bowel will work naturally.Although horrible to take its worth taking every day.

Water and mobility a must. Hope this helps.Love Eve

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi to all of you,

I knew I could rely on you all to give me some really good suggestions to deal with this wretched condition! I will especially take the movicol advice on board and have started taking Albran each morning. At least i haven't got bunged up again yet!!!

I particularly appreciated the comment by Rosie and Paul about the additionasl pain killers and have started taking them again today.

Very best wishes and love to each one of you as you deal with your own difficulties.

Again, thank you!

Mavis xxx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Constipation!!!’ is closed to new replies.