Continuously declining eGFR

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  graham-c 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

graham-c
    Participant

Having lost one kidney through kidney cancer I fly with one now so my eGFR has never been top line but it’s always been respectable.

Getting results has always been like pulling teeth but, after what happened with my kidney cancer, I’m not going to let things happen without my knowledge but, on the other hand I try not to get too obsessed. The pp/sflc results before last had improved so I didn’t chase up for the last ones but I happened to get an eGFR from the Lipid Clinic and it came up at 54. Though that’s far from bad I noted that is classified CKD Stage 3 and the Lipid Clinic wanted to change my prescription. I had to go to my GP to get a new prescription and I mentioned the eGFR and she mentioned that it goes up as well as down which, coming from banking, sounds familiar.

When I checked I saw this progression

14 Mar 14 – 74

22 May 14 – 68

20 Sep 14 – 63

31 Mar 15 – 58

23 Jul 15 – 54

I looked at the NHS guidelines for CKD and I think they’re a little alarmist but losing 25% of my eGFR in four continuous falls seems significant. I’m not going to panic as I still have plenty of’ ‘slack’ and I will get another eGFR test result in October from Haematology. I’ll probably drop a line to my GP pointing out that my eGFR has been in a steady decline, but that I’ll wait for my next results and see how Haematology view it.

The concern is that I had to notice this and I could have had my next appointment without raising it as an issue. The interesting point being that if my PP’s/flc’s haven’t increased significantly it may not be down to that. Then it’s whether they refer me to Nephrology or my GP.

This is why I would always recommend getting your results. I can see a significant trend (very significant by NHS guidelines) and I now know what to ask at my next appointment and, because I’ve spotted it in good time, I can still be nonchalant about it.

I can’t believe that my PP’s/flc’s can have risen so much to explain the declining eGFR in which case I have another separate problem which is possible considering my past medical history.

graham-c
    Participant

After my bad experience with kidney cancer I do like to keep an eye on things. I am disappointed that no one mentioned my deteriorating eGFR to me and my GP seemed to be confused and actually gave me incorrect information.

I will write to my GP to point out my results and also quote NICE guidelines. My PP/FLC results  have been increasing but are unremarkable and I find it difficult to believe that they could have increased so much in a short period to be responsible for the eGFR results, but I’ll wait for my October appointment for updates. If I get a Registrar I’ll be gentle with them but unless my eGFR has improved, either they, or my GP, will need to refer me to Urology (under NICE guidelines). I’ve got all my results and details that I can take with me.

As an afterthought I would presume that having a declining eGFR my PP’s/FLC’s will rise simply because they aren’t being cleared from my system so efficiently. It is then a matter of which one is that causal factor and which one the symptom.

This is why I insist on knowing my results. If I hadn’t known them I wouldn’t know the significance of my October appointment and what to ask. If I weren’t already involved with Haematology it would be a straight referral to Urology but, with Haematolgy involved, they had better give their opinion first.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  graham-c.

Harmony
    Participant

I think that you’re right to track things closely Graham. We need to empower ourselves so that we can feel some sense of control and not as if we are completely at the mercy of others.This cruel, merciless disease should never take that away from us. Each time I get my pp results, I plot them on a line graph-not quite sure why I’m doing this but I suspect that it is about control.x

graham-c
    Participant

For me, Chrissie, as long as I can demonstrate to myself that my results are steady, then I can discount any symptoms I experience as nothing to do with myeloma. Of course having had kidney cancer, my kidney function is of special interest to me especially as they are/it is at risk with this illness. This is made worse because information was withheld from me then that impacted me badly. It wouldn’t be in anyone’s interests for this to happen again.

My GP should have received my letter and I have quoted the NICE guidelines for treatment of CKD, but I have added that I am happy to ‘hang fire’ until my next results and appointment in October.

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg182/resources/guidance-chronic-kidney-disease-pdf

The risk as I see it is that if my PP’s/FLC’s haven’t risen significantly they’ll consider that it isn’t their responsibility so my letter puts my GP on notices that if my eGFR has declined again and Haematology aren’t impressed, then it will be up to her.

It does mean that I have control, and I can avoid surprises through something being overlooked . Though my results easily qualify me as CKD Stage 3 I presume that I won’t receive that classification until Urology say so.

It’ll make the October appointment interesting and I’ll know what I need to know and ask. If it’s a Registrar I’ll do it sympathetically.

I do admit to being somewhat conflicted especially as I feel a little peeved that no one appears to have noticed the decline in eGFR

Firstly in the grand scale of myeloma, an eGFR of 54 isn’t at all spectacular or threatening and the incredibly metronomic decrease is steady but not obviously pointing to an imminent crisis.

Though, on the other hand it does qualify under NICE guidelines as Stage 3a CKD and in spite of the progression appearing steady, it does fall within the definition of accelerated progression and four continuous declining results suggest a continuous process.  An upturn in eGFR in October would take the edge off my concerns, but what happens if my PP’s/FLC’s don’t explain the situation ? Presumably then my GP has to make the referral to Urology.

If it weren’t for Haematology my GP would be required to bounce me off to Urology immediately but it makes sense to discover whether or not Myeloma is the underlying cause, because that would be what Urology would be looking to do themselves. I just hope that Haematology have noticed otherwise I’ll be looking with a squinty eye. With my medical history it could be something unassociated with Myeloma which would be a blessing I don’t need. I did have kidney cancer, but kidney to kidney isn’t a usual progression so that’s not my primary concern.

As much as it will torment me my best option is to get a favourable eGFR and for that I must wait.

In the meantime I have asked my GP to confirm that I have been placed on the surgery’s CKD Register as required by the ‘GP contract Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF)’.

http://www.britishrenal.org/BritishRenalSociety/files/e1/e182721f-77af-4386-b7e3-7f8b777c8b12.pdf

I’m only doing that because 1. my results qualify 2. there is a possibility that my EGFR reduction isn’t Myeloma related 3. things that should have been done haven’t been done in the past and 4. it puts testing and treatment into a set pathway.

I may ruffle feathers, but i’m running short of kidneys.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  graham-c.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by  graham-c.

graham-c
    Participant

A good result that puts my mind at rest. My GP rang me to confirm that I have been put on the CKD register and she asked if I wanted anything else done, to which I replied ‘No’. It may seem that my request was pointless but I have another eGFR coming up and I want to know that result first, when I’ll also be informed whether or not my PP’s/FLC’s have changed significantly.

My eGFR may have improved (unlikely) in which case nothing needs to be done, my eGFR may have fallen again with a rise in PP’s/FLC’s when the matter is in the hands of Haematology and I can take it up with them, and presumably they’ll refer me to Nephrology.

The point being that without a rise in PP’s/eGFR I suspect that Haematology won’t be involved and I’ll need a referral from my GP.

In the meantime my GP will arrange a urine test for Protein/Blood. My past experience with Nephrology (kidney cancer) hasn’t been good and I want any referral to be sound. That will be in my GP’s interests and my own. I could jump up and down and demand a referral now, because my results qualify, but that wouldn’t be helpful.

graham-c
    Participant

The fact is that I should have been referred to Nephrology before now due to my declining kidney function because I fall well within the NHS and NICE referral guidelines.

However, and this is a good reason for knowing your results and the implications, my current results don’t put me at any immediate risk. I know that my GP won’t refer me without my prompting and I did read that eGFR results aren’t flagged up in GP records when they are abnormal. On the down side, in the past 15 months my results have shown a relentless but steady decline and, in that same period, I have lost a third of my kidney function, which I read is not a good sign.

The eGFR result at my Haematology appointment last week was a repeat of my previous result at 54, being my lowest score so far. On its own it isn’t a problem but, because my results never improve, the risk is that there is something doing my kidneys harm. Haematology didn’t think it was my FLC’s which can be nephro-toxic.

On balance I think I’d better ask my GP to refer me to Nephrology to give them the opportunity to discover if there is something affecting my kidneys that they can do something about.

I would say that the Myeloma Clinic at Leicester looks to be under tremendous pressure with standing room only. The doctor was examining my notes as he spoke and some of the things he said didn’t make sense but, because I had a good understanding of my illness, it didn’t concern me. He mentioned me having a bone marrow biopsy, but I had had one initially and didn’t think my figures merited another one. He also seemed critical that I was seeing them at too frequent an interval which didn’t make sense either as I don’t choose it and I thought I was being seen at the least frequent interval possible. To my further confusion he has arranged for me to have 2 weekly blood tests and an appointment at a ‘nurse led’  clinic in a month.

Having ‘nurse led’ clinics sounds like a good idea for those at the MGUS stage

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by  graham-c.

Harmony
    Participant

Oh Graham, I really feel for you. It seems that you have so much to deal with and so much to keep track of all of the time. You don’t need this. You need to feel confident that you can place yourself in the hands of competent medics and your only focus should be on getting well. It’s so unfair that I want to weep for you and weep for myself too, I guess. God look after you, you are in my prayers and I hope that you have a strong support network around you. Human connection is worth more than money and status. I wish you improved health. Take care.x

graham-c
    Participant

Thanks for your kind thoughts Chrissie but, if I appear to be in mental torment, it’s probably more to do with my style of writing than how I actually feel. As regards MGUS I must be at the lowest risk level from my blood tests, though there is always that risk. It’s just the inconvenient kidney function test results. Alongside that my ‘flavour’ of MGUS seems to be more of the Free Light Chain type which is a risk factor for the kidneys, though the doctor saw no reason to believe that my FLC’s were of a level to affect my eGFR. The trouble is that from what I can tell if one reading worsens, so will the other. If my kidneys are less efficient they won’t clear FLC’s so well and FLC’s tend to make the kidneys less efficient.

Because I know my historic results I have a fair idea of my situation and, unless my latest results, are way out of line I won’t get any surprises at an appointment and I know what to ask, if there is anything to ask.

If my GP is still speaking to me I’ll ask for a referral to Nephrology because I’m well within referral guidelines but I don’t feel too concerned as my current eGFR is well above panic level. It’s just that any relentless trend means that I ought to be put on Nephrology’s map even if they don’t do anything.

It probably didn’t help that I discovered today that my 92 year old mother has a better eGFR than I have.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Continuously declining eGFR’ is closed to new replies.