Covid and myeloma

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mrsi 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mrsi
    Participant

Hi, I tested positive for covid early in January ( I am on second line daratumumab sub cut every four weeks) which is now on pause until I have two negative covid test results, however my understanding is that it stays within the body even after you have recovered which I have. I do not have any symptoms, still have my sense of taste and smell, no fever, nausea, or anything else. Unfortunately as I have to have two negative results my haematology team every time a positive result comes back I have to isolate for 10 days and am contacted by track and trace even though I am not unwell. Has anyone else found this please and if so how was the situation resolved?
    Thankyou

docmike
    Participant

Dear Mrsi ,
    First of all I am pleased you appear to have avoided severe disease which may be due to your impaired immune system ( also off steroids?) but at that same time may explain difficulty in clearing the virus .
    Hope it clears soon because otherwise your post is encouraging to most of us who anticipate the worst in this situation.
    Best Wishes
    Michael

Anonymous

Dear Mrsi,

Your post is so encouraging – thank you! You are the first person I have heard of with Myeloma who has has caught Covid and been asymptomatic. I didn’t even know that was possible for anyone with blood cancer! But it must be very frustrating for you having to suspend your treatment until you get a negative result.

This time last year I was on DVD (Dara, Velcade and Dex) and had my treatment interrupted due to being admitted to hospital with a severe infection (not Covid). When I was well enough to resume treatment, I found that my paraproteins had not increased and I went on to achieve Complete Remission. I hope this is reassuring and that you will soon test negative and able to carry on with your treatment.

Best wishes,
    Rachel

mark-j-underwood
    Participant

I must admit, this is the first case of Covid 19 in a Myeloma patient I’ve come across too. I was speaking to Myeloma UK a few weeks ago and at that time they weren’t aware of any patients going down with Covid 19.

Do take care of yourself.

Mark

bear
    Participant

My Sheila (year 7 now on DVD – just 4 weekly SC) came down with mild Covid last Easter, and might actually have caught it again when we went to London over Xmas. We have both had chronic fatigue and Sheila being on dara, the fatigue has been serious. She does a 5 mile run one day and the post exertional malaise lasts a week.
    Being in Wales it’s been impossible to book an appointment online to get her the vaccine. 0300 number – and be prepared to listen to music for 10 minutes. Try three times a day for three weeks running…

tmcintyre
    Participant

Hi

My husband is on maintenance treatment of IRD and gas been since his stem cell transplant in 2018.

He tested positive for Covid in November and needed hospital treatment which fortunately was only for one week. Everyone was amazed at how quickly he recovered.

He had his vaccination three weeks ago. Apart from being permanently weary he is so big well. He is to start a course of iron supplements which hopefully will give him a boost.

All the best
    Teresa

mrsi
    Participant

Thankyou everyone for responding to my post, I am delighted that others have been successful in coming through having Covid and thankyou to everyone for your positive thoughts and comments. I am happy to let you all know that I had two negative PCR tests last week after 49 days since my positive test on 5th January which means that I can commence my dara subcut treatment as of tomorrow!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.