Dad just diagnosed with MM

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

salsa27
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Hope you're all coping ok. Dad started his treatment on thursday he's on the Myeloma XI trial on the RCD pathway and is doing well so far with some pain relief at last. He was initially overwhelmed by the quantity of tablets he needs to take but I bought him a pill box to take away the anxiety of counting them out every day. He seems much brighter and generally more upbeat which is lovely to see. The consultant feels he may not be best served to have a stem cell transplant due to all his other illnesses. It's a bit disappointing but it's in his best interests.
    We're trying to be proactive, sorting life out and thinking of his future needs which is giving us some focus.
    Will keep you posted.
    Sally X

eve
    Participant

Hi Sally
    Good to know your dads feeling a little bit more cheerful,it is a shock to the system when you are first told,and there is so much to take in.

Slim found it easier to do a big chart with the cycle on,easier to keep track of the pills,he kept 2 pill boxers one for hospital pills and one for own doctors pills.
    I think you will have to watch your dad when he is on the dex,because if your mum starts playing up,your dad will not be his normal self Dex does have a strange effect,I often had to remind Slim that the tablets did effect him,and made him a different person,so watch out for it.
    best wishers Eve

tom
    Participant

Morning Sally (gosh i hope you dont read this post at night:-D )

Am pleased your Dad is feeling better and you and yours are now also feeling the same 😎

As for the Transplant I know a Lady who has had MM for nearly 10 years and not had a Transplant due to other complications and is doing Ok 😀

And Eve is correct with the "Dex" when I was taking my "Dex" I wasn't sure if I was "A Ok" with it:-S but when it was done 6 months down the line I asked my Young Bride (Elaine) if I was bad on "Dex" Days and as she rubbed my arm saying "Its all done now we dont need to go down that route again do we":-0 so that means to me I was a Bad B**ger:-( but am better now 😎

Good Luck to you and your Family on the Road to your Dad's well being.

Love
    Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

salsa27
    Participant

Thanks everyone again for their kind words.
    In comment to the Dex I spoke to dad today about not feeling he had to take my son to school every morning. He has been struggling with sleep and he got a little irrate, which is out of character. He said i've got to keep things the same as i'll not get out of bed. He loves his time with my son and i'll never deny him it but I hate to see him so knackered out! He caught a chest infection which hasn't helped but antibiotics are on the menu so hopefully it'll clear up soon.

No news on the mum front, waiting to hear back from social services in the next few days.

As you can see by the time i'm burning the midnight oil!!! I'm oncall in the hospital laboratories so i'd better get a shift on and do some work!

Take care everybody 🙂
    Sally xxx

tom
    Participant

Hi Sally (hope your not asleep?)

Sorry you dont have any news on your Mum front 🙁 those folk dont move too fast do they.

As for your Dad I honestly know where he is coming from We have Five Grandkids Eldest is 8 years old and the youngest "Baby" Max is just about Seven Months old this w/end 😀 and I cant wait to see them I ask when will be the next time we can have them over nite? Because I want to see them grow I want them to remember Granddad before he was Ill 🙁 I want them to think about Granddad when he took them to the swings in the park, when he took them away for the w/end and all that stuff. yes this post seems morbide but it isn't its about what I/we want.

Love one happy Granddad to Five "Onwards and Upwards" xxxx

salsa27
    Participant

Hey everyone 🙂
    Hope you're all doing well on your journeys.
    Update:
    Dad is on week 3 of his first cycle and is doing ok.
    Had a little blip a couple of days ago after his second lot of Dex and ended up in hospital for a night as his glucose levels had spiked up to 25.4!!!! This was expected but as no interim measures were in place to sort him out I opted for a trip to hospital to keep an eye on him. He was a tad dizzy and a bit confused so I thought it was best. He was sent home yesterday and his glucose levels are dropping off slowly. He's had a trip to see the diabetic nurse today to keep him on an even keal in the future.

I see what you all mean by the Dex. He had few dodgy days where he was a bit of a grump but soon came out of it 🙂
    Dad has been enjoying his time with his grandson and coming to us for tea when he's feeling up to it. Overall I think he's doing great considering.

Thank goodness it's soon the weekend. I'm shattered.
    Take care everyone
    Sally xxx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Sally

Somehow I seem to have missed this thread over the past few weeks! Welcome from me. Glad your Dad is doing relatively well on the Trial. I do hope thst it eventually pushes him into a long remission.

Care for the vulnerable eldery seems to have gone down hill these last few years. I'm sorry that your Mum isn't getting the care package she needs as it will be putting so much of a strain on your Dad and the rest of the family.

How lovely that your Dad can still be involved with his grandson each day. Since I was diagnosed last year i have only been able to see my grandsons when their Mum can make the long journey from south London to Yorkshire. I am really excited that next week I am driving down for the first time to visit them on their territory, although we are staying in a Hotel to avoid stairs.

All best wishes to you and you parents.

Mavis

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dad just diagnosed with MM’ is closed to new replies.