Dad’s story

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  peterl 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rosie1961
    Participant

Dad passed away this week. He was 82 and was diagnosed with MM almost 15 years ago. At the time he was fit and healthy.

At that time SCT was not offered but he had all the other treatments. He was able to remain fairly active until the last year.

At the end he had pneumonia and his body could not fight the infection. He knew this and was ready to go, his passing was peaceful.

He had nothing but praise for all the doctors and nurses who cared for him over the years.

I have the benefit of knowing I have MGUS and if my status changes I can be treated early.

For now I will be keeping an eye on Mum who was well prepared and is coping well so far.

Dad was always full of praise for MyelomaUK and has requested donations rather than flowers.

peterl
    Participant

Rosie, so sorry to hear about your Dad, and my condolences to you, your Mum and all your family and friends at this time.  From what you say, your Dad seems to have been fairly active until the last year, so whilst it’s no consolation, from the patients (like me) that I chat to in waiting rooms, it could have been a lot worse.  So, I suppose it’s some kind of positive to take from a very sad occasion.

I don’t know what version of MM that your Dad had?  But I had an ‘acquaintance’  (a lady, very healthy prior to MM, and reasonably young), who had an SCT to combat her light chain version, and unfortunately passed away a year and a half later.  MM is so individual and so hard to predict — and I completely agree with your comments regarding the devoted work that the hospitals (and MyelomaUK) do to treat this rather nasty disease.

Kindest regards to you and your family,

Peter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Dad’s story’ is closed to new replies.