Daratumumab

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dbrr 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Helen
    Participant

Hi all
    I don’t know how many of you out there are on Daratumumab but I’d like to know what I should be feeling like- do I do as much as I can or should I just do what I feel up to and not push myself?
    And – side effects- I’m getting them 4 days after the infusion- all the named ones but horrible
    Love helen

dbrr
    Participant

Hi, Helen,

Are you feeling better after all these months?  Do you feel that the treatment has been worth the horrible side effects?  What a shame that so many of these treatments make people who already feel sick, sicker.  Wishing you well.

dbrr
    Participant

My first Daratumumab treatment, nine hours long, was not at all what I had feared it might be.  Before administering the drug itself, I was bombarded with drugs which included steroids and Benadryl, enough Benadryl that I was able to spend much of the day sleeping, which suited me just fine.  I experienced very little in terms of side effects, maybe a tiny bit of shortness of breath, and I was a bit wobbly and ready, after the adventure, for a long night’s sleep.  The next day, perhaps because of the steroids, I had more energy than I have had in a long time.  Unfortunately the following day I was back to my usual exhausted self.

Having dreaded this treatment, it was a relief to find it so innocuous and so unlike any chemotherapy I have experienced in the past.  I guess it really isn’t chemo, in that it is not a poison, but I do not understand the mechanism.  Next Thursday it will again take 9 hours, but subsequent treatments might go more quickly, which would be nice.

I just thought I’d write in case others have as much apprehension as had plagued me.  It might very well not be as bad as you had expected.  Quite a pleasant surprise to find so little to complain about.  In a month or so, we will find out if it is working.

Helen
    Participant

Hi Michael
    I’m really glad you are doing ok with Daratumumab, sadly I had to come off it after 3 months as my disease went wild and I’m now on thalidomide- which fortunately is working.
    You are right to put your experience of it on here, it can be very helpful to know others have been there too.
    Love Helen

dbrr
    Participant

I am sorry to hear that this unpronounceable infusion didn’t help you, Helen.  I have not taken thalidomide, but I hated lenalomide.  I even felt grateful when I was told that Revlimid had stopped working for me.  I had been chemo-free for two months, but in that length of time the light chain numbers behaved very badly, and I was told if I wanted to have a decent summer, or even a summer at all, that I had to get with the program and that daratumumab was the only option left me.

I hope you are finding the thalidomide helpful with only minimal side effects.  I don’t think anyone gets away with no side effects.  Wishing you lots of luck and all the best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Daratumumab’ is closed to new replies.