Decision concerning Stem Cell Transplant

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  noeyedeer 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

peppermint66
    Participant

Hi, this is all new to me.I was first diagnosed as having Smouldering Myeloma September 2012. May this year my pp level rose but i didn’t have any effect. I started VTD in June and have done 5 cycles, then my myeloma plateaued at 16. I’m currently discussing have SCT. I’m dreading it, I’m just looking to hear from people who have had this done and the realistic effects and was it actually worth it in the long run. Any advice would be welcomed

kevin
    Participant

Hello Patricia

I was diagnosed in 2006 and since then have had two courses of CTD each followed by a SCT. I am now having Carfilzomib maintenance treatment which was preceded by carfilzomib treatment. Treatments for and the its effects are very individual so therefore feel choices have to be finally down to you and your consultant.
    In my case each CDT and SCT gave me about 5 years full remission. Even though both the treatments were the same the effects for each were different. One was ok the other not quite as good. Both were tolerable to achieve the results I got.
    My current treatment which will not end with a SCT has resulted in my paraproteins being undetectable. So looking good.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

noeyedeer
    Participant

Hello Patricia,
    My husband was diagnosed with MGUS 6 years ago, his paraprotein crept up so he finally started VTD in March 2018, with plateau after 4 cycles, had stem cell transplant in August, now back to the gym. He had no symptoms when MGUS, eventually scan found a couple of small lesions so that’s when decision to treat was taken. He is 68 years old. He decided that if he didn’t take the option of SCT, he would always think what if I had, would I have a long remission period?
    The treatment is “doable”, he was only in hospital for 10 days and has had no infection issues. He won’t know how well the sct went until day 100 post sct, which is early December.
    Any questions welcome,he has preferred me to do the research on MM, just crossing each bridge as it comes.
    All the best
    Julie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.