depression and chemotherapy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mj16 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mj16
    Participant

Hi, my dad (74) was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in February 2014 and is 3 weeks in to his 1st round of chemotherapy. He has had no side effects so far. He has had but he has bone pain in his back for a few months but a scan showed no evidence of the myeloma affecting the bones. This was good news and seemed to improve my dad’s mood and outlook. However recently he has had pain in his ribs as well which is quite severe. He has been prescribed morphine for this. Unfortunately he seems to have become very depressed with all the associated signs, apathy, crying etc. I was just wondering if anyone has been prescribed anti depressants while on chemo, especially at 74 years old. My dad is a typical bloke who never expresses is emotions so we havnt discussed anything with him yet. We are waiting for the results of another scan which hopefully will be positive!

bandityoga
    Participant

My husband had many different emotions when he was diagnosed and used to cry a lot when he was on CDT. He was assigned a phycologist which he really can’t remember much about. He was also put on 20mg of citalopram antidepressants which did improve his mood.

Hope all goes well with your dad’s scan.

Maureen x

mj16
    Participant

Thanks Maureen,

Trying to stay positive, will broach the subject and get him to talk to his consultant at his next appointment.

lynnes
    Participant

I am on VTD regime (40 mg dexamethasone once weekly on a Friday).  Come Sunday evening and all day Monday I would become depressed, crying, inconsolable and wondering if any of this was worth it.  I have just had my second monthly consult since starting chemo and mentioned this and the Dex dose was immediately halved.  I was told that not many people could tolerate the 40 mg steroid dose for more than a few weeks and I had been dutifully taking them for two months!  Double check what dose steroids your dad is on – they are a very nasty mood manipulator.  I am now waiting to see if the reduced dose reduces my black moods.

Lynne

mj16
    Participant

Hi Lynne

Thank you so much for your message. My dad finished his chemo back in march and I am pleased to say that for the moment he is well and more like his old self! Like you, he took his on a Friday and by Monday he was awful. Apart from trouble with his back and hips he is getting out and about more and helping my Mam as much as he can in the garden. He is a big gardener and I think not being able to enjoy it was a huge part of his depression. Very interesting about the dexamethasone, not sure what his next round of treatment will be our when he will need it but I’ll certainly keep this in mind.

Thanks again and I hope all is well with you x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘depression and chemotherapy’ is closed to new replies.