Dex Dosage

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KeithH17 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

KeithH17
    Participant

Hello all, Hospital visit today to check bloods and all ok apart from slight kidney function problem so I have to drink even more water and I thought I was drinking more than enough.

Hb 9.9
    WBC 5.4
    Plts 54 (still dropping)
    Neuts 4.2

Dex Dose 4x20mg then 5th day 20mg 3days off then same again over the next 5 days and again until end of cycle.
    The 20mg on the fifth day is to reduce the withdrawal effect.

Keith.

Jentay
    Participant

Hi Keith.
    I have to admire your fortitude if you are managing to take all that Dex! I refused point blank to take 40mg of Dex for 4 days each month at the start of my treatment as I know what it does to me. I took 20mg x 4 days and recently have dropped it to 10mg x 4 days. How long is this regime of yours going on for? It seems very harsh to me.

Jen

KeithH17
    Participant

Hello Jen the answer to your question is for the first four cycles then it will drop down to 40mg for each of the first four days of each cycle only. This will be for as long as the Rev is working and that hopefully for a very long time to come. I have noticed both on this site and from patients in my own local support group that remission times do vary quite a lot. I myself have handled the treatments fairly well even if this one up to now has been the toughest but my remission times have been nothing more than the ballpark average and nothing much to shout about.
    The 2yrs 4mths from the first sct was sort of ok but then only 7 months from the second tells the story. This disease becomes more resistant as you go further down the line hence my Consultant wanting to hit it with everything he can in order to win back some ground and I trust him in that even though it is hard. I remember being told shortly after I was diagnosed that the Myeloma I have is very aggressive and that strong measures had to be used in order to dampen it down and they certainly weren't kidding. I have already had multiple bone fractures because of the old story of being diagnosed late but I've battled through it with RT treatment. I can't and won't say anything has been straightforward because it hasn't but I have managed to battle through it all with the support of my wife and our excellent hospital,doctors and nurses who I trust completely.

Thank's again for your thoughts and take care of yourself.

Keith.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Dex Dosage’ is closed to new replies.