Dexamethadone v Prednisalone

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  petesilver 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

petesilver
    Participant

Hello
    On reading this forum there is always a lot a mention of the effects of DEX and the problems it causes and I include myself in that , but it seems to effect everyone in different ways.
    I have just started treatment again Velcade, cyclophosphmide but this time I am taking Prednisalone (steriods) and the side effect of these are quite bearable, perhaps the dose is lower I don’t know 40mg for 2 days a week.
    Its just a thought and I was wondering why as when last time I had dex you really knew you were taking it.
    Peter

petesilver
    Participant

Due to the amount of comments of bad side effects of Dexamethadone on this forum I am surprised at the lack of comments, I have no idea of the difference between Dex and Prednisalone but it makes a big difference to me in coping with steroids, there may be a good reason why Dex is the preferred option, but it is an interesting question considering the bad accounts posted on this forum.

Peter

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo Peter
    I believe that one reason why dexamethasone is prescribed rather than prednison is that there is a greater chance of a secondary cancer when prednison is taken in combination with lenalidomide. I was advised by my consultant to be alert for skin cancer.
    Annette

dusk
    Participant

Hi Annette

As I understand it is Revlimid (lenalidomide) that has been indicated to give rise to secondary cancers, not the Prednisolone itself.

Peter- You question is interesting. I have noted that people not ‘fit’ for SCT are often prescribed Melphalan / Prednisolone combinations, most are elderly people possibly. So normally prednisolone is given with Melphalan and I assume there is a reason for this. The only thing I know is I was told that as a steroid Prednisolone is better tolerated and in older people that may be a consideration.  But I would explore this with your consultants as to why they choose this over a dex included cocktail of drugs.

Dusk

petesilver
    Participant

Hi Annette
    Thank you for your post, all these drugs have some side effects some we know nothing about 🙂 but my consultan always he says I’m going to poison your system 🙂 he’s right of course, but it keeps me going.
    Thanks again for your comment it is very interesting.
    Peter

finn
    Participant

Hi Peter

I think Dexamethasone is stronger steroid than Prednisolone so that if you take 1mg of Dex you need to take about six times more (6mg) of Pred to get the same effect. Then again, if Prednisolone has the required effect on your myeloma cells then that should be enough.

petesilver
    Participant

Thanks Dusk for your comments I have no reason why the change but treatment seems to be going quite well , bloods are OK, still waiting on pp results, but in the main I feel quite well(fingers x) I don’t feel elderly,:) at 74 but suppose I am lol, and after having 10 years of one treatment or another things will change.
    Finn, I suppose that could be, I’m in daycase today so I will ask if they know !!
    It’s just I am interested not that there is any problem.
    Peter

avantromp
    Participant

Hello again Peter
    Just a quick response to Dusk’s mail. Lenalidomide in itself has not been shown to induce secondary cancers more than any other treatment except when it was taken initially in combination with certain other drugs. Look up on internet Myeloma Beacon, “Revlimid and Secondary Cancers”. Below is a quote from the article.

“Revlimid (lenalidomide) did not appear to be associated with an in­creased risk of secondary cancers when administered together with dexamethasone or cyclophosphamide.”

Other recent international study results comparing dexamethasone and prednison are also available on Myeloma Beacon.
    When diagnosed with MM 5 years ago I was prescribed lenalidomide, prednison and melphalan, the exact combination that is now known to give a 5x greater risk of secondary cancers. I don’t dwell on it but do keep alert.
    Annette

petesilver
    Participant

Hi Annette
    Thank you for all your comments, its always interesting for any information, Rev stopped working for me so I am now on Velcade,prednisolone.cyclophos.I am now into cycle 3 and all seems to be going well I feel fine with minimal side effects but apparently I have to wait until cycle 4 to know what my PP is.
    The problem with all these drugs they all cause side effects some short term some long term, my biggest problem is PN in my feet its always like walking on cotton wool but you get use to it. Fortunately its not painful.
    That’s enough of me rambling on.
    Regards Peter

Oo..

petesilver
    Participant

was told at the end of cycle 3 treatment was not working, however had a ct scan which showed it is working !! so will now complete all 8 cycles, the mysteries of myeloma :).

its going fairly well except for some back pain so fingerers crossed…….

Peter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dexamethadone v Prednisalone’ is closed to new replies.