Diagnosis – how does it work in the uk?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  paulfoel 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

paulfoel
    Participant

77 yr old MIL recently had blood and urine tests and was told by her GP that she had myeloma. GP told her she had to go for further tests with a haematologist as well.

Now MIL is hard of hearing and, to be honest, does get easily confused. Would this be normal practice – i.e. diagnosis by GP based solely on blood/urine tests?

We are wondering if GP has told her they suspect myeloma but she has to go for these further tests. Assume these tests are bone marrow biopsy? Would this provide a 100% confirmation?

How long generally would we wait in the UK for this test? Any idea of private cost?

shaun3
    Participant

Hi Paul,

really sorry to read about the diagnosis. The early days are difficult but my experience is that the NHS have been brilliant. This sounds quite similar to me actually. I was told by my GP on 20 March this year that a blood test had picked up that i have Myeloma. I then went 2 days later to see the Consultant Haematologist who ran through some more tests to confirm the diagnosis. They have 4 critters and I seem to remember that they need 2 to confirm the diagnosis. And a biopsy is the final confirmation as that’s really the only way they can actually see if the Myeloma is present.

There’s a good article on the NHS choices website about diagnosis too: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/multiple-myeloma/diagnosis/

Treatment once confirmed is fairly standard and effective too.

All the best

Shaun

paulfoel
    Participant

Thanks Shaun – we just wondered if GP actually did the diagnosis to be honest.

Shes not heard about follow up appointment but we’re all waiting to see how that turns out.

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo Paul
    Sorry to hear about your family’s confrontation with MM. However one thing struck me immediately. It is great to have a GP who has a mind open to the possibility of MM. There are far too many patients who are suffering permanently from bone pain that could have been avoided with earlier diagnosis. Better safe than sorry. I was diagnosed as a result of bone pain but fortunately this disappeared (following bisphosphonate treatment).
    Annette

paulfoel
    Participant

Thanks Annette – I hear what you’re saying and its good if shes sent for more tests.

Unfortunately, GP did not take the time it seems to ensure the patient had heard, and understood what they were being told. Unfortunate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.