Double transplant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  greg777 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

millie500
    Participant

Hi All just wondering if any other people  had been offered a second transplant even though there proteins where less than 2 as the hospital are offering me a donor transplant  as they think this is the best treatment plan any thoughts  thanks

greg777
    Participant

Hi Millie,

Not sure if it is the same but I have had what was called a tandem transplant – an auto SCT followed by an allo (donor) SCT about 3 months after. I had the donor SCT when I was in remission – I was told it would give me the longest possible remission.

it’s a tough process to go through – a donor transplant brings additional risks not present in an auto, so it’s something to think long and hard about. I went for it because I was relatively young (36) so I wanted to throw as much at it as I possibly could.

please feel free to ask any questions about it.

Greg

millie500
    Participant

hi Greg thanks for the information my name is Paul it sounds the same situation as me i had a level of 27 , 6 months chemo which came down to 1 then sct in October now they think that a auto now will give me the best chance Greg where did you have your treatment done

greg777
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Sorry about your name!

I was treated in Bristol and I cannot praise them highly enough – they seemed to know what they were doing.

I have the light chains myeloma so slightly different to yours (my PPs have never been high) but other than that the time frames seem very similar – diagnosed March 2015, auto SCT Oct 2015, allo SCT Feb 2016.

The procedures themselves are pretty much the same, I just had a much tougher post-transplant period with the allo – I got GvHD (which is the main risk). I was poorly for about 8 months. But I have recovered now and am feeling really well. Who knows if it’ll benefit me in the long run, but I’m glad I did it. But there are risks, so definitely worth taking your time to decide what is best for you.

Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Double transplant’ is closed to new replies.