Down with abbreviations !

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  petesilver 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dxs
    Participant

Mainly for the benefit of newcomers but also for people who have had myeloma for a while, I think it would be useful if people creating a topic spelt out the particular treatment they are having followed by the abbreviation in brackets, e.g. Cyclophosphamide Dexamethasone Thalidomide (CDT). The abbreviation then can obviously be used the 2nd, 3rd….time. I feel we are reaching the point where the proliferation of different treatments really needs clarification. In my own case, after a not good start with CDT I was put onto Velcade with Dexamethasone but without Cyclophosphamide. Is this VD? (Not venereal disease for you clever clogs out there!)  Just trying to be helpful.

Philipandfiona
    Participant

No, that’s CVD.
    i can understand how hard it is for newcomers to get their heads around this disease and the proliferations of initials doesn’t help. But I think a list of abbreviations somewhere may be easier than everyone spelling it out every time as I think that may get a bit tedious after a while.
    Everyone here is so kind I’ve never worried about asking questions of what it all means.
    I also wonder if some people choose not to know exactly what’s what and simply use the initials. I know my husband has to stop and think if asked what he’s taking.
    Ps when I was a child we studied CDT at school – craft design and technology. I still think that when I see the treatment initials even though it’s in the wrong order.

iang
    Participant

Actually, CTD is the usual abbreviation for Cyclophosphamide + Thalidomide + Dexamethasone, not CDT. (If you need convincing try Googling CTD myeloma, then try Googling CDT myeloma.)

It’s not obvious that it should be one or the other. I sometimes have to think twice when I use the abbreviation in speech. CTDa is the attenuated version that has a reduced dexamethasone dose, which can help you get it the right way round if you remember that the ‘a’ is associated with the ‘D’.

Vel/Dex and Vel-Dex are common abbreviations for Velade + Dexamethasone, but VD and Vd are also used. CVD, VCD and CyBorD are all used for Cyclophosphamide + Velcade (Bortezomib) + Dexamethasone.

I can remember thinking that the liberal peppering of abbreviations made some posts (and medical literature) quite difficult to follow when I started looking up about myeloma. It’s not helped by the variation in abbreviations for the same drug. Velcade, for example, can be V (as in CVD), Vel (as in Vel/Dex) and Bor (as in CyBorD) and possibly others. It would be nice to have the consistency of chemical symbols.

petesilver
    Participant

I agree I must admit I get confused when reading some postings, there is such a range of drug combinations, better to spell it out correctly so we can all understand exactly what treatments are being used. Every time I start a new regime if its not different its administered a different way, but still life goes on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Down with abbreviations !’ is closed to new replies.