Due to have stem cell transplant Jan 2018 any advice about getting through it

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccaR 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

jenny0
    Participant

Dear Emma, Tony and Rebecca

Emma,

hope if you read this your journey of SCT is complete and you have made a great recovery and enjoying life again.  I feel for you at such a young age to have got this illness and hope you get a long remission.

Tony,  You have given me hope for my dad who is 72 and just diagnosed at New year. Considering SCT and when I show him your story , I think it will give him more courage . Thank you

Rebecca,   Your words of advice are comforting to all and again give me hope for my dad as I just want to cry at the though5 of him suffering .

Regards

jennifer

paul1967
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MM in March this year after arriving at A&E with Pneumonia after a visit to a walk in centre for a cough.

I am just ending course 3 of VDT and have no date yet for SCT although I have an appointment with a consultant after course 5 so I may find out then.

Apparently my blood is responding well and my usual consultant is always amazed how well I am coping. But this is the easy bit isn’t it? Just taking the tablets/Velcade and injecting myself with the Clexane.

I’ll be 51 in the summer so still fairly “young” I guess.

The posts here have been interesting and useful.

I’m, quite a hardy person but the S&D might be the thing I fear most. Before MM I was rarely actually sick.

I’m certainly in the right place here to find out what it’s really like.

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Paul – good luck with your SCT when it comes – it really is just another treatment option that gives you a rough couple of weeks then on the road to recovery.It’s not pleasant in parts but it is all very doable with a relatively short length of unpleasant time. Your recovery will be so much easier and quicker at 51 yrs if all goes to plan. Some people don’t get much sickness and hospitals do try different anti sickness meds to stop it. In hindsight it wasn’t as bad as I actually imagined it to be and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. If you have ever had proper flu – I’ve had it once many years ago – I would liken the experience to that – Pretty gritty but you’ll soon get over it.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Due to have stem cell transplant Jan 2018 any advice about getting through it’ is closed to new replies.