Elderly father

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jules24 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jules24
    Participant

My 83 year old father has damaged asbestosis, chronic kidney disease and arthritis – but strong heart and was fully mentally there a few weeks ago. He was being given epoetin injections for anaemia but on no other medication. He was getting very sleepy and generally feeling ill. A blood test showed high calcium and immunoglobulin levels and Myeloma has now been diagnosed after he ended up in hospital 3 weeks ago. He was becoming very confused and paranoid, which we were told was due to the high calcium. This is now normalised as he has started VMP treatment a week ago. But he is incredibly confused/upset, including hearing voices. The NHS is not communicating between departments, so the ward he is on doesn’t even know when his chemo sessions are (nor do we) and deem him medically fit, and were trying to chuck him out when someone from oncology came to fetch him for his latest chemo session. It’s a nightmare.

My question is, how long does VMP treatment take to make a difference? 83 with comorbidities, is his quality of life ever going to be better?

Thank you

lilib
    Participant

Hello Jules,
    Sorry to hear about your father’s diagnosis. It’s a lot to take in when there are other conditions at play. I can understand why he – and you feel confused. I don’t actually know what VMP is. Does the V part mean ‘Velcade’? My husband has a Velcade injection at the hospital once a week, but the rest of the medication is done at home. I am wondering if perhaps your father regime means that he only actually needs to visit oncology or haematology dept once a week, too?

If you don’t get any answers from the hospital, I would recommend speaking to the Nurse on this website – you can send an email, and perhaps she will be able to tell you more. I’m afraid that I have found that you really need someone to ‘fight your corner’ and advocate for you, as the NHS is not being particularly joined-up at the moment.

As far as when can you expect improvement – well, it depends on the patient. But my husband is on his 15th week of treatment now, and he really started to feel much better around the 10th week I would say.

Hope you get to speak to someone soon. Best wishes for your father, and yourself.

jules24
    Participant

Thank you so much for replying. It is really useful to know when your husband saw an improvement, although I do understand everyone must be different. Yes, the V is for velcade, with melphalan and prednisolnoe making the M and P. He is getting the velcade by injection every 4 days at the moment, the rest are tablets.

Best wishes to your husband and you too x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.