Food supplements – bovine colustrum

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Harmony 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tallulah55
    Participant

I wonder if you have heard of this supplement or have taken it? Kevin was listening to an early farming programme on Sunday, talking to a dairy farmer who feeds his herd extra early milk (colustrum) and has noticed significant benefits in terms of improved immunity to diseases. He mentioned that it can be obtained as a supplement for humans and apparently has been available for quite some time.

This seemed to make sense to me as I cannot forget that feeding my sons as babies seemed to really protect them from stomach upsets and viral infections – they were virtually never ill as children, or as adults touch wood. So I did some research and was particularly impressed by Neovite – some scientific evidence on the site demonstrating increased immunity protection so we have purchased some. It is dried and pasteurised.

I did ask Kevin’s consultant if he could see any harm in it ( as a food supplement of course he couldn’t comment on any possible benefits of course)and he said as long as it was from a safe source and was pasteurised that was ok).

Kevin did normally take a daily probiotic (Actimel) as it seemed to protect him from digestive problems pre myeloma but hasn’t restated that yet as it contains live bacteria.

Evidence on anything like this can only be anecdotal and we certainly aren’t big into supplements (although I see a herbalist for migraine and her supplements really have worked for me)but I do feel it is pretty important to protect yourself from infections where you can and anything that helps with that could be good news. Curcumin is something that is also interesting  I think and perhaps we will look into that in the future, but I do sense that myelom patients light chain levels and pp numbers can really rise post acute infections ( Kevin’s pp doubled when he had pneumonia and it was that that prompted treatment) so we are very keen to bolster immunity and take practical steps to avoid infections where feasible.

Others thoughts on this would be of interest!

Have to add of course that I’m not advocating this supplement personally – I’m just keen to find out if others are using it or other supplements which prove beneficial.

Harmony
    Participant

Hi, haven’t heard of this supplement but I do take aloe vera and selenium and drink green tea. (I’m smouldering at the moment). As far as I’m concerned, if supplements are not doing any harm, what is there to lose by taking them? It just feels as if you can grasp a bit of control by trying to do something.x

tonyf
    Participant

Hi Chrissie, funny how you get conflicting advice from all sorts of areas, I was told definitely not to drink green tea! So who is right? Wish I knew.
    Still life goes on!
    Regards
    Tony F

Harmony
    Participant

Hi Tony,

You’re quite right – you shouldn’t drink green tea if you are having treatment. At the moment, I’m smouldering and under ‘watch and wait’ so am not being treated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Food supplements – bovine colustrum’ is closed to new replies.