Frightened and feeling hopeless to help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jes1965 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jes1965
    Participant

My partner had 4 cycles of VTD chemo and then found it stopped working at the beginning of the 5th. The consultant tells me he has a low chance of the new chemo working which is Revlimid, Cyclosphamide and Dex.

I get told he should drink 2 to 3 litres a day and to eat to keep his strength up but he is so tired he just doesn’t want to do either. At best I manage 2 litres a day, most times it is barely 1.5 litres. Its just all so blasted scary and I don’t know what to do – listen to him to leave him alone to recharge his batteries or pester him every hour or so to drink – help I’m at my wits end and truly am petrified!

peterneo
    Participant

Hi Jes  It takes time to get used to a treatment change and a lot of  frustrating patience by the carer. I am on cycle 16/17 of revlimid and drinking water like it is going out of fashion. I will tell you I had a mini stroke (tia) which the doctor said was caused by dehydration. So no matter how much your partner shouts screams or whistles make them have it..good luck…

jes1965
    Participant

Thank you Peter and hope all goes well with your treatment xx

Michele
    Participant

When I was going through initial treatment 4 years ago, my husband soon realized that normal mealtimes weren’t “normal” any more and that it was best to let me eat what I felt like eating when I wanted it!

However, drinking plenty of water wasn’t an option to me and I can’t stress enough how important those 3 litres are to help flush through drug residue and generally help the kidneys out.
    It does seem a lot, but I used a half pint glass mug to help me keep track of volume. You’ll soon find it becomes a good habit rather than a chore.

I’ve been in remission for over 3 years now and am drug-free but still drink plenty of water!

Wishing you and particularly your husband all the best.

jes1965
    Participant

Thank you Michelle.

He is just so very tired today and he just doesn’t feel like drinking and I can’t make him –  I do tell him how important it is however and try to encourage where I can without stressing him.

I think all he wants to do today is sleep bless him and the consultant has just said don’t crack the whip – obviously I will if he doesn’t drink tomorrow!

Glad to hear you are in remission x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Frightened and feeling hopeless to help’ is closed to new replies.