Frustration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccaR 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sfelmingham
    Participant

I was diagnose with MM in May 2014 and after 3 months of being sent backwards and forwards to see people and waiting for more scans and tests, I was told yesterday that I am not sufficiently ill to start treatment.  Meantime we cancelled a holiday of a lifetime being told that i would definitely be having chemo and a tranplant and would not be able to travel, and my employer took on someone to cover my work whilst I was off having treatment.  Now I have been told that I will be monitored until I get worse!! I am living on a timebomb.

Have asked for a second opinion, any other suggestions?

Mothas
    Participant

Is sympathise about the cancelled holiday, unfortunately it comes with the territory with this disease. It’s worth having a second opinion but the fact that the disease is at such a low level that it doesn’t require substantial treatment is something to be happy about. What was the initial diagnosis?

rebeccaR
    Participant

Am sorry you are here and unfortunately you have just had a taste of how myeloma world works. From what you say I gather you have mm but currently display insufficient symptoms to warrant treatment – this is good – and you will be monitored periodically to ensure that the moment MM becomes problematic i.e likely to cause bone or kidney damage you will commence treatment – this is good also. As you read up on MM you will note some key points – it is incurable but treatable so your life will now be a roller coaster of remission and relapse in the knowledge that treatment options are not finite and are limited as the cancer becomes immune to each new chemo drug you use. So, no treatment now is good – save the sweeties in the jar until you actually need them and enjoy life without chemo treatment and their inevitable side effects. Be comforted that you have not been diagnosed at crisis point i.e. kidney failure or broken bones and that they will not let you get to this point – so already you are in a very good position to fight this. You can be asymptomatic for a long while so ensure you make good use of this time for travel etc which is likely to be curtailed when on treatment. This is huge to take in and will take a very long time, if ever, to get your head round it. Normally, I would say to newbies to learn what you can about it, use this and the US myeloma beacon site for information, but as you are only being monitored at present I think I would just try and put it to the back of mind until it actually starts happening (easier said than done I know) – it’s probably less scary when you are having to live it than reading about what will happen in the future and, importantly, when you do start, it can be all consuming mentally. The one thing MM does require is strong mental discipline and a positive attitude, I gather you want to start treatment to get rid of it quick but unfortunately this is not how it works with this type of cancer and time without needing treatment is often the goal we all eventually aim for. As well as using this forum I would also use the helpline as they will flesh out the bones of what your consultant has told you and you can ask away , anything and everything, without feeling silly or that you’re running out of consultation time. Ask away here also as inevitably there is someone in the same boat. Kind regards,

Rebecca

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Frustration’ is closed to new replies.