Good while it lasted.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  unlclemomo 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Richard

Hope your mock exam went well.

We had a visit to the consultant today and Ian’s FLC came down to 300 from 580 without treatment. SCT should be around 2 weeks depending on his gum.

Maureen

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by  bandityoga.

janw
    Participant

Hi Richard

Sorry to hear about you having to start a new treatment, especially with you experiencing so many negative side effects from the drugs. It does bring back vivid memories of my experiences with 4 cycles of CDT. My concentration levels were so poor. I couldn’t even fill out an easy passport renewal document without making mistake after mistake. I had to ask another family member to complete the form after my five unsuccessful attempts. At the same time, I was trying to sell my franchise business due to the myeloma and I couldn’t focus on drawing up accurate business contracts, financial forecasts, interviews with prospective buyers, etc. I hope you manage to find ways of successfully revising for your exams. You might need to seek help with trying different revision techniques to help you remember the information such as using visual aids, different coloured revision notes, listening to your revision notes, etc

When you take your actual exams could you ask whether there is any special consideration offered due to your new myeloma drug treatment affecting your learning capacity and exam performance? In the UK, you can apply for extra time or sometimes extra marks if you are suffering with ill health, learning difficulties or other problems which might affect your exam performance?

Jan

unlclemomo
    Participant

Hi Rebecca – there is plenty of interesting reading here from everyone.

I am on rounds of chemo since diagnosis in September last year and leading up to a stem cell transplant, when the numbers are acceptable.

One thing I’m curious about is your 50% figure, and where you have sourced it. I doubt it will change my treatment plant, but being new to all this (like some many are and have been) I am seeking information (despite the fatigue induced ADD!?)…

Bye for now,
    Be Well….

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi sorry – only pop in now and again (I am just 18 months from SCT). !8 months is a figure from the US Myeloma beacon site, think I have read someone on here recently debating SCt following velcade treatment that 18 months extra was quoted by his consultant? Mine gave an average upto 2 years but there are those that get much more etc. All very individual and perhaps influenced by our cytogenic profile of low/standard/high risk. I am high risk so am pleased to have got 18 months to date drug free and counting. MM is very individual – I guess even with the cytogenics card thrown in – I try and remember this. SCT is just like any other treatment option – it may or may not work at all, it may be incredibly effective, it may not be that effective but good enough to keep it at bay for a good drug free period. We are in the gambling business now, I’m afraid. I hope lady luck is with you!

Take care,

Rebecca

unlclemomo
    Participant

Thanks Rebecca for writing more, it is very useful to hear about it.

Be well!

C.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good while it lasted.’ is closed to new replies.