GP letters

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  susie 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

susie
    Participant

Hi All

Just a quick question- does anyone automatically get sent copies of their consultation letters those sent to their GP’s. I find they are so useful for keeping a record on what happens/said at consultation.
    My problem is I never get them unless I specifically ask. I’m just interested if its the norm at most hospitals.

Best wishes

susie

kp
    Participant

I think you are supposed to get copies of letter if you want them. The hospital I attend always sends me a copy and I don’t have to ask. Mind you sometimes they arrive three months after the clinic date.

Kind regards

Karen

petesilver
    Participant

I always get a copy of letters to my GP and normally within a week of my consultation,  as you say they are very useful and I have to say they are always a good report on what was discussed. I must say I do miss some things said so it’s always why I have a second pair of ears (my wife that is indispensable ) but yes the letters are yours to have without having to ask all the time tell them to put it in your records.

Regards.  Peter

jeff605
    Participant

Hi Susie the Leicester Royal Infirmary oncology unit now always sends copies of the Doctor’s letters, weren’t so good in the past, usually about 2 weeks after the event. As you say, a useful reference to check back on events and dates, and the consultant’s remarks.
    All the best xx

kp
    Participant

I would like copies of my Bone Marrow Biopsy reports. Some time ago now I asked what the results were and the Doctor looked at me like “Duh” and said “you have Myeloma”. Well I knew that!!!! I was already on VTD chemo but I know the BMB tells them a lot more. Perhaps I should ask for copies of the reports. I have had two BMB’s, one when the Myeloma kicked off and a second 100 day post Stem Cell Transplant.

Cheers Karen

jeff605
    Participant

I know a while ago someone on the forum was having great difficulty with the Leicester Royal Infirmary oncology unit getting letters passed on to him and had to demand them through – I think it was – the pals network, and had to pay a fee. It was a long time ago so not sure of the details, but you are evidently entitled to this information. Since then things have changed and I always get a copy of the Doctor’s letters about 2 weeks after the consultation. Annoying, this information is so important to us as a guideline as to what is going on,isn’t it? Hope you manage to get this sorted, I seem to remember the person above wrote to the Hospital Administrator concerning this Good Luck

Ang287
    Participant

I work at a hospital and once you have said once that you would like copies of clinic letters you should get them automatically after every visit. Just in case though when you arrive for your appointment inform the clerk on reception that you would like a copy of the clinic letter. My husband gets his clinic letters and has never had to ask again following his first appointment as he now gets them automatically.
    I am having surgery for something completely different soon and I asked for a copy of the ultrasound scan report that the Consultant was discussing in clinic to be sent to me with the clinic letter. I then received the report and clinic letter together which was quite helpful so I could then take time to digest the contents of the report on my own. I keep all my husbands clinic letters in a folder at home. Best wishes, Angela

susie
    Participant

Thanks for that Angela. I’m going to phone my consultants secretary next week to ask for the letters. I’ve done this several times in the past and spoken to consultant. I get sent just the one. Strange thing is, when I was being monitored for MGUS I never had to ask yet always got a copy.
    Maybe they’re cost saving on stamps. !!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GP letters’ is closed to new replies.