Guilt

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lindawinton 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ellen

One of the issues which emerged from the first Myeloma UK Carers Infoday held in Newcastle earlier this year, was that carers have a very strong sense of guilt.

I wonder if anyone can relate to that or share your experiences for the benefit of others.

Ellen

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Ellen

I feel guilty that I am healthy and try to do as much for Ian as I can. I wish that Ian had not had myeloma and put my life on hold to care for him.

Maureen

gilll
    Participant

Good discussion on this in London today, thanks Ellen and Debbie

emsie
    Participant

Hi Ellen

I don’t feel guilt to be honest. I do feel cheated that our entire lives are unrecognisable since diagnosis.

I feel invisible – I have been really unwell myself for many years with several chronic illnesses and since my hubby was diagnosed 27 months ago none of that seems to matter any more – I have to take full caring responsibility for my husband and the children, whilst continuing to work full time otherwise we would have no income. The fact that I am in constant pain and actually take more meds/pain killers than he does, doesn’t seem to matter to anyone.

Most of all though I feel helpless – I see him suffering and desperately want to make a difference to his suffering but can’t – It’s not guilt per se – more despair that I can’t make things better for him.

lindawinton
    Participant

Hi Emsie, would you feel able to talk to someone on a one to one basis to at the very least off load/share your feelings. Ellen and the team are very good. You’ve got a lot on your plate and your illness/pain is no less important. Is your GP understanding of your situation? Do either you or your husband attend a Myeloma Support Group?

I hope the pressures of your situation easy.

Kind regards

Linda

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Guilt’ is closed to new replies.