Heart lung checks before collection or SCT?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  meganjane 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Carolsymons
    Participant

I am booked to have chemo (etoposide) on Wednesday to start stem cell collection process, but have had no heart, lung checks. Is it usual to have these tests before collection?

Thing is what is the point of enduring high dose chemo and growth injections and collecting stem cells, if later you are told you are not in good enough physical condition to have SCT?

Carol

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Carol

I can only tell you Franks experience. SCT was decided but before he was given date for procedure he had to go through quite a lot of tests and heart and lungs were two of them. Has your consultant not mentioned it. Maybe on younger people they don’t carry out the tests. Mind be worthwhile to mention to consultant. Hope all goes well

Love Jean xx

Carolsymons
    Participant

Thanks Jean I have emailed the transplant doctor asking if I should have these tests before collection….makes sense to me. Because my light chains and paraprotein started rising after only 3 weeks off CTD I feel they are now rushing me into SCT. On Monday I will have been off all drugs for 6 weeks. Paraprotein was only 8 on diagnosis in April, 0 in September while on CTD and already back up to 4! Worrying!

Carol

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi carol, I was harvested in October and am awaiting a bed for SCT. I had the heart and lung function test after the collection and it seemed to be a “competing the paperwork” exercise before acceptance to SCT. Think it should have been done before the collection but the dates coincided so was done after. I’m 51 and am fit (despite damaged kidneys). I expected the tests to be more than they were – lungs – blowing in and out at various speeds and intervals and the heart laid down having like an ultrasound check – think just ensuring the blood is flowing round as well as it should be. I expected to be on a treadmill with heart monitors on etc to test fitness! but it was all a bit of a non event. You will have to have the tests done prior to SCT but obviously they feel you are fit enough for it to not hinder the collection. Good luck, Rebecca

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Carol,

We can’t quite remember when Phil had these tests done but I think they were more to do with the SCT than with the harvesting. I think that you harvest the cells after your treatment has finished and then even if you do not go on to have the SCT immediately the cells are ready for when you need them. I am sure your consultant will let you know.

Megan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Heart lung checks before collection or SCT?’ is closed to new replies.