Hello

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

loopyladye
    Participant

My husband was diagnosed with MM just before xmaslas year. He is 1 week in on his 7the cycle of CTDa and has had 3 treatments of biophoshanates. So far things have gone well. Light chains have gone down from2900 to 250 after cycle 6. He has 3infcections 2 of which have meant a stay in hospital and only in the last 2 cycles. So his consultant has altered his steroids from 8 days out of 28 to once a week.

He was diagnosed after being admitted to hospital unable to move or breathe without experiencinggreat pain. An initial xray for abdo problems revealed shadows on his hips, ribs and spine. A week later and after lots more tests we were told the diagnosis which came as a relief more than a shock ina bizzare way. To finally have an answer as to why he could no longer move ,walk, sit even without pain was a step forward After his secondday in hospital we remembered he had had a fall at the beginning of December and just had a bad back. Never in the world did we think that it be the trigger for the cancer to be spotted. It appears the fall had caused the cancer cells to punch holes in his bones and caused his immobility. He is slowly just starting to take tentive steps round the house without a summer frame but holds onto the furniture. He is 57.

andyg
    Participant

Hi Loopyladye.
    First of all welcome to the forum though I know you’d rather not need to be here.
    I know what you mean about the relief of diagnosis. I had a bad back for 18 months before I was finally diagnosed and it was a relief to know I wasn’t imagining it and it had a name then came the shock as it sank in I had an incurable cancer.
    I was in and out of hospital a few times with infections and back pain, I fell over, on my first course of treatment CDT.
    It must be doubly frustrating for him to struggle to get about and having to cope with all the drugs too.
    Has any mention been made of a stem cell transplant (SCT)?
    Wishing you both the best on your meyloma journey.

Every day is a gift

Andy xx

loopyladye
    Participant

Consultant has said he is not fit enough for atem cell at the moment. He is diabetic type 2 so the steroids put his sugars through the roof and when he was initially admitted to a and e he had AKI and it took a little while to get his kidneys working properly again.

andyg
    Participant

His kidneys must of recovered well because they don’t usually prescribe CDT if there’s any kidney problems. Velcade is the usually the drug used for people with kidney problems. Steroids can bring on diabetes.

Every day is a gift

Andy xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Loopy

Welcome from me too. Sorry your husband has had such a hard time. I was treated with CDT (admittedly not CDTa) and got into complete remission after six rounds. I have not gone down the route of SCT and have been fortunate thus far even though, like your husband, my bones are shot through with lesions.

Mobility does improve. It is just very flow and hard work.

I am a great believer in Zometa infusions (bisphosonates) I put my lack of fractures down to it.

Keep holding on. Life is worth it. Making the most of every “good” day is the secret. Don’t put off till tomorrow what you can enjoy today!

Best wishes to you both.

Mavis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hello’ is closed to new replies.