"High Grade MGUS / MM"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  loulou 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

loulou
    Participant

Hello, I am new.

Thankyou so far to the Debbie on the helpline who has helped me x

About me: 18 years MGUS (age 45). The paraprotien mainly so far affects my Corneas and have previously had thalidomide / dexamethasone to reduce PP level and stop it affecting my sight.  PP level went down and is slowly creeping up but has never been excessively high.

Recent temporary blindness episode led to a bone marrow test which showed level at 10%.  Doctor described it as high level MGUS / MM.  Is this a thing?

He said I did not need a skeletal survey and he would see me in 4 months – again – is this normal?  My GP has arranged one anyway as I have had a painful shoulder and upper arm for a few months.

I have been happily ignoring my blood test results for years but think I better start to learn a bit more.

One final question (and sorry for being a pain and the essay post) – what does the kappa light chain ratio measure and is 3.42 normal?

thank you xx

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum and I think you had the right approach to ignore the blood tests when MGUS but you appear to be one step further now so, again, you have the right approach to delve (at your own pace) a bit more into the world of MM. Must say didn’t know it could affect your sight so something new for me also. I was diagnosed at 50 with only 10% bone marrow but it nearly wiped my kidneys out so always bear in mind MM is unique to you and no two people are the same. My consultant on diagnosis (in a very critical way) could not get to grips with the extent of damage with only 10% but it is not unheard of so your GP is on the ball to arrange the skeletal survey. If x-ray only you have to have a fair extent of damage to show up so PET scans etc are better – if you can get one. You obviously have light chain MM, like me, and the significance of the ratio is when out of ratio it is a good indicator that the MM is active and can cause damage. The normal ratio is 0.26 – 1.65 so you are out of ratio. If you know your kappa/lambda numbers the normal range is kappa 3.3 – 19.4 and lambda 5.71 – 26.3. You will have one that is excessively over producing and affecting the ratio – that is your type of MM – I have lambda. The good thing is that you are on the radar and they will be testing regularly so you can always start treatment before significant damage occurs – just make sure you get all the tests available. There is a good info sheet on here about the free light chain testing which you will have to monitor your progress. With only 10% in my bone marrow I had a course of treatment followed by an SCT – am currently on the cusp of 3 year s remission. I would suggest you get a copy of your bloods each time and monitor your own progress but bear in mind light chains can bounce around abit so it is the trend you are looking for rather than individual results.

Best wishes, Rebecca

graham-c
    Participant

Hi Loulou.

To my untutored mind I would have thought that corneal involvement is unusual and indeed so is the fact that they discovered it at such a young age. The rule is that myeloma can affect any organ except the brain, but even though the normal route of affecting the bone is bad enough, the possibility of it affecting the eyes would concern a lot of people. Normally you wouldn’t be checked for myeloma at that age, so I presume they discovered it in the corneas after you had symptoms and they worked their way back to make the diagnosis.

It does seem a little strange to have conceded organ involvement and still restrict the diagnosis to MGUS. It doesn’t seem logical to be producing m-proteins to a level affecting an organ enough to require treatment and then downplay it, but I’m no expert. I am at the MGUS stage and recently the Consultant appeared to be writing my obituary, and it took me a few weeks to work out why. It seems that I may be dying of something else, they don’t know what, but my MGUS is fine. Myeloma can be a challenge even for the experts and sometimes we expect too much, not to say we shouldn’t be inquisitive about our results and what they are.

The base line test is the measurement of m-proteins but you may have none at all but elevated levels of free light chains. They will also be noted on your blood results and the kappa/lambda ratio is a prognostic guide, so the textbooks say. If it falls outside the normal range it is not good, but mine has always been that way on the other side. With this illness it will often overproduce one type of kappa or lambda flc’s in excess and when the ratio is outside normal limits it shows this. I always note my free light chain level as well as myeloma proteins when I have my blood tested. I also get the kappa/lambda ratio though I know that will never be within normal limits and my eGFR which is a measure of kidney function.

iang
    Participant

Myeloma can affect your eyes (and your brain), but only at high serum paraprotein levels (>50g/L if IgG, >40g/L if IgA). The increased concentration of protein can increase blood viscosity (thickness). Hyperviscosity can affect blood flow in the small arteries feeding your eyes, causing blurred vision, and in small arteries feeding your brain, causing headache and confusion. The effects are reversible if the paraprotein level is reduced. If you are MGUS then your paraprotein is by definition no more than 30g/L, so you should not be affected. If you needed treatment with thalidomide + dex to reduce your pp level then it suggests you moved from MGUS to MM. As Rebecca says, it’s worth asking for copies of your blood test results. They usually indicate any figures that are outside the normal or reference range (with an ‘H’ or ‘L’ for example). Keep the copies in a file so you can monitor the trends of the figures that are significant in your case, and to build a back history of figures that you may not yet realise are significant.

Long term use of steroids, including dexamethasone, increases the risk of developing cataracts and/or glaucoma.

Take care, Ian

loulou
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the information you have provided.  I have a skeletal survey next week and will spend some time getting to grips with my blood tests…..I am slowly getting my head around it and thank you all for your advice – will report back soon xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.