High Risk MM Positive stories…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  docmike 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jonnynorth
    Participant

Hi All,
    I’m 49 and was diagnosed with MM about 8 weeks ago. Yesterday I was told that I was in the High Risk territory which has really knocked me and my family – one too many kicks I guess. I had previously been told 10 years so was aiming for 20.
    Would love to hear of any stories from anyone with high risk who is fighting it on their own terms.
    Good luck to everyone on here.
    Jonny

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Jonny, Sorry that you are here. If you are high risk then you likely have a translocation known as high risk. I have translocation 14:16 known to impact kidneys and therefore considered aggressive. I was diagnosed at 50 with kidney failure altho my Mm was relatively low. However, this Xmas will be 6 years post SCT, in remission still, and not on any drugs. MM is very individual and unique to you – you are not a statistic and the translocations that put you in the high risk category – are a mere “predictor” of high risk – how you react to MM is very individual. My Mm was easy to treat and that is the most important thing. Some translocations are effectively combatted with the newer drugs also. How you react to treatment is more of an indication of high risk. If you search on the Beacon site and internet you will find those classed as “high risk” who have been treated very successfully and are long “livers”. You can always find the success stories that show how individual MM is and that is what I always focussed on. My kidneys were badly affected – mainly due to long standing misdiagnosis – I was told my kidneys would never improve and was in the low 20s after Sct (which was an improvement). Over 6 years they have very slowly increased and are now at 46%. At my last consult I actually pointed this out and queried how this could be? and was told it can happen over time – but no-one told me that when I left hospital and my worry over kidneys was as much as the MM. I used to search for success stories to give me hope – and rightly so. Statistics may be a predictor for the average person but – you are neither Mr Average and you are also very young, strong and with lots more treatment options available to you due to your age – than the “average”. The more you read about MM the more you will see no 2 people have the exact same MM, no 2 people react the same. Some people with standard risk may struggle to find a treatment option that works effectively with long remission which would make them more high risk than how I consider myself now – albeit I am classed as high risk. It takes a while (understatement!) to get your head round MM but you are in this for the long haul – a marathon not a sprint – there are so many treatment options now. Also remember when you look through stats online etc many of these were before the new more novel treatment drugs and the average age of getting MM is much older and there may be other health issues also. It is extremely hard to have to live with MM at such a young age but your body is stronger for the challenge – now is the time to focus/work out how to keep mentally strong and live well with it.
    Rebecca

jonnynorth
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,
    Thank you so much for getting back to me on this and your words of encouragement which have given me a definite lift. Are you currently living a normal life by all accounts? I hope so.
    I’m so pleased that you are having a good period of remission and hope that it continues for a long time. It now looks like I’ll be having a double SCT in the New Year so I hope that will help my remission times.

I’m still getting to grips with this whole thing but your message has given me some more hope. I thank you for that.
    Jonny

rebeccaR
    Participant

hi Jonny, yes I am fitter than most currently play about 12 hrs tennis a week and other than in my own mind there is no visible difference. Took me 3 months to get back into tennis after SCt but was back playing in matches within 6 months. I have no bone involvement. A double transplant sounds a good move so good luck with it all. You will get physically back to normal it’s how your mindset is and how easy you find to put MM back in the box after treatment which, for me, was the hardest….marathon not a sprint!

jonnynorth
    Participant

You’re smashing it!
    I ran a marathon 6 months ago and will desperately want to get back into running post SCT for the benefit of both my body and mind. Looking forward to sticking the MM back in its box where it belongs.
    Thanks so much for your words – they’ve helped a lot.
    Jonny

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Jonny, I think you will be fine now. I used exercise to help me through my treatment and to gauge my recovery and, most importantly, to keep sane. At one point I had an unhealthy relationship with exercise as tho I wanted to punish my body for letting me down? Now when I know I can run round ok I know I am ok and well and my bloods will reflect this on my 3/4 monthly checks. There are many runners on the Beacon site who improved their times after SCT – because the MM had been there in the background before the actual diagnosis. Whilst treatment eventually tires you out you will always feel better/re-energised with a brisk walk. Exercise is a great focus, mentally and physically and will help keep you strong/ recovering quicker – providing more bone issues of course. Listen to your body but go for it!

docmike
    Participant

Dear Johnny
    I would be careful about running marathons soon after ascts.I had significant cardiac arrhythmia induced by coffee after my first asct and an echocardiogram showed left ventricular dysfunction with reduced ejection fraction. it recovered after three months . I drank decaff coffee for two months after my second transplant after another abnormal ecg within days of melphalan.(normal echo before second transplant)
    michael ashton (retired consultant physician )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.