High risk newcomer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  doddywarren 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

spk2021
    Participant

Yes, that’s right. I didn’t realise I’d revealed that information here! I am under excellent care and feel very fortunate. It’s a long journey for me each Friday (c. 1hr 40mins each way), but it’s worth it.

S

doddywarren
    Participant

Hi
    My husband was diagnosed with HR Myeloma just before xmas, just as he was planning to retire in the new year. He has two markers, 1 & 17. He is hoping to start a weekly cocktail of 5 drugs this week, then 1 possibly 2 SCT later in the year.
    Its all be such a huge shock like everyone has said on here. It started with back ache, so he had blood tests, X-ray and ultrasound and nothing showed up. He thought when the ache moved from his back to his hip area, it was sciatica and then an MRI showed a lesion. Then 2 biopsies later, the 2nd confirmed it was myeloma, along with the genetic test.
    However He is being amazing and very positive, but I am struggling and I am very scared.
    I am worried about all the treatment and their side effects.

We haven’t googled, as too anxious to and I am slowly looking at things on this website and forum which is helping and can see everyone is on there own journey but it is good to see all the positive messages re remission etc. I know I need to learn more about it but I get so panicky.

We had before diagnosis, started to reduce our sugar intake, as we heard it was a source of inflammation, however our intake wasn’t particularly high, while already eating a healthy Mediterranean Diet. His consultant said some people take Turmeric so he has started this too.

Best wishes
    Dids

spk2021
    Participant

Hello Dids,

You may have read some of my posts. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with 3 HR markers. I’m just coming to the end of my first year of treatment. I didn’t start treatment in the first year as I was initially smouldering, then my partner became seriously ill and underwent major bowel surgery, then my father died…all in the same year. Fortunately for me, the myeloma was picked up incidentally, and apart from worsening anaemia, I had no symptoms.

It’s a scary time when first diagnosed and I cannot tell you not to be scared as it’s not that simple. I can only share my experience and hope it helps. I lost my mojo (including my sense of humour) for 4 months after diagnosis. It took me that long to get my head around it. Good to hear your husband is coping well, but I understand it’s hard for you. My partner doesn’t talk about it much, but that’s normal for a man! However, I know he is worried about me and the future.

Good that you don’t Google the disease as I did a lot of that and it only served to increase my anxiety. I no longer read stuff online, except here at MUK.

I have generally coped well with the treatment, with minimal side effects, although I did find the SCT tough going (can’t sugar coat it!) Everyone is different and I do hope your husband manages well. Btw, I was 59 at diagnosis and relatively fit. I’m vegan (not good in terms of hospital food!) I recovered well from the SCT and was getting out and exercising a lot about 2 months after coming out of hospital. Then a cold hit me, which turned into a chest infection for which I had strong antibiotics, which in turn set my stomach off and I lost 6kg! Then my iron went really low and I had an infusion. After 2 months of being poorly, I’m now feeling pretty good. Just been on a 6.25 mile Nordic Walk today!

Key to my ability to cope has been finding the right consultant and the amazing support I get from the whole team at hospital. I’m participating in a trial and am on a high risk pathway which is not otherwise available on the NHS. If your husband is able to join a trial, I really recommend it. I travel weekly c. 120 miles round trip but it’s worth it.

Sorry this post has got so long! I hope this helps a bit and doesn’t add to your anxiety! It’s not a nice place to be, but us animals have an amazing ability to adapt! And remember that there is a lot of research into myeloma and its treatment and new treatments being developed all the time.

Please do message again with any questions or concerns. I think peer support is really important and wish that I had reached out in the early days too.

Kind wishes,

Shelagh

rabbit
    Participant

Hello Dids.

Welcome to the forum.

As spk2021 says, going through chemo can be tough going. I went through quite a few side effects, the single worst being fatigue. I would be a liar to say that it is going to be easy.

BUT:
    – You get through it. Having things to look forward to can help.
    – Support from you and any other family and friends can help enormously, whether it is keeping his company, helping with chores or anything else.
    – If he can maintain interests, that can help. I spent a lot of time in the early months of treatment in nature: listening to and watching birds, for example.

Meanwhile, not everything online is scary. New entire categories of treatment are being developed, including CAR-T, bispecific antibodies, CELmods and dentritic vaccines.

doddywarren
    Participant

Dear Shelagh

Thank you so much for your reply it’s very much appreciated it has eased my worries some and no you didn’t go on too long 🙂 So great to hear you are feeling pretty good.
    My husband is 66 and was relatively fit too.
    We are still waiting for the chemo to start, he had a full body MRI last week and the results aren’t back yet so we assume this is delaying things. From the first MRI in sept to now, it’s been a few months so All this delay is stressing me out we just want to get started.
    Our consultant, we have been told, is the best in the South of the UK, we live on the Isle of Wight, so that is very good to hear.
    We do have good support from friends and family but I still feel pretty lonely, I am not good at asking for help.
    Thank you for your support
    Dids

doddywarren
    Participant

Hi Rabbit

Thanks for your message, advice and honesty, again much appreciated.
    Great to hear there are new treatments coming along.
    Dids

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.