Hospital Parking

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  andyg 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

susie
    Participant

Hi All

My hospital has just raised its car parking charges again and attempted to mute it by giving the first 15 minutes free !. Charges then start at £2.50.

Like us all, I have for 3 years had frequent blood tests, the day before appointments. The form has always had * waiting *on it and as a result I’ve always been put in front of the people there for one off bloods, even though my appointments have been for the following day. This has always enabled me to park in 20 min drop off bays with no charge, which is what I was told to do at the start of this MM journey. My last test, I was told to join the queue, which took over an hour to wait for and resulted in me getting a parking fine.

I really would be interested in what others experience. Am I wrong to feel haematology patients, who have frequent blood tests, should have priority over the “one off” patient. Let alone have to pay so many charges. This is on top of my actual appointments for infusion and clinic at which time i am happy
    to pay.

Best Wishes to all

susie

greg777
    Participant

Hi Susie,

I definitely empathise with you. In Bristol the minimum charge is 3.40 and no preference given to anyone. It can become very costly!

Bristol does do a weekly ticket which helps save money if you have more than one  visit a week – does your hospital do anything like that?

Greg

susie
    Participant

Hi Greg

The only thing my hospital does is, if you’re on the haematology/cancer unit for more than 2 hours, you can pay £3 and get a password and they let you out of the car park.

I must sound awfully mean and I don’t mind paying for the clinic appointment, but my point is with 2 visits for bloods together with the appointment would cost £8. Next treatment for me I’ve been told, will be weekly Velcade which will mean a weekly charge of £5.50. ! I just feel its out of order, and what choice do we have.

susie

greg777
    Participant

I completely agree that it is extortionate. Although the hospital in Bristol is right in the city centre and all other car parks would be even more expensive, so for me it is the best of a bad job. I think there are some organisations that help with financial costs of things like car parking and I have met with some fellow patients who get paid for taxi’s into the hospital. In Bristol, I think they are stuck between a rock and a hard place because demand is so high and space is so limited. Most of the time you have to give yourself an hour to find a car parking space even before you have paid the extortionate fee! I saw an article about a month ago I think which reported on hospital car parking charges so maybe it is something that will be looked into in the future.

Greg

andyg
    Participant

Hi Susie.

The hospital were I get my myeloma treatment charge £3:00 for 12hours after a 20 min free period. The other hospital I’m frequenting lately is free for blue badge holders which I have.

I get my bloods done at my GPs practice now to save a trip to the hospital and £3:00 lol so now I’m only at the hospital once every 28days. Unless I have a problem. xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hospital Parking’ is closed to new replies.