How long once chemo stops? And how do you make the decision to stop?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kitkat1985 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kitkat1985
    Participant

Hi. This is a very difficult question to answer I know, but my Dad who is 65 has been battling Myeloma for 8 years now. He is pretty frail now and is on his final treatment option (palolidomide – apologies if mis-spelt). His bloods have also shown recently that his kidney and liver are struggling, and his breathing has deteriorated a lot. Sadly his most recent bloods show that his light chains have gone up still quite significantly despite the palolidomide cycle, and he has been struggling with the side effects. We are therefore at the point where the consultants are uncertain if their is much benefit to Dad at this point in continuing with the chemo at this point, and if it’s time to make the difficult decision to stop chemo now and let nature take it’s course. Has anyone had experience of this and how long roughly he would have once chemo stops? Obviously the decision on if to stop or not is ultimately up to Dad but he sadly also has som early-onset dementia and will need help to make this decision, hence why I’m asking. Thank you.

louishenry
    Participant

That is such a hard decision. What we all want is the best, most effective treatment. At some point that is palliative care, pain relief. Personally I’m not there yet but it will come. The language of fighting and warriors doesn’t help as every time the myeloma comes back it seems like defeat and failure. It isn’t, it’s just what happens with this disease. I hope you your dad and the medical team find a way forward you can all agree on.

kitkat1985
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. He saw consultant today who has stopped all chemo now and said he needs palliative care route. We knew this was coming but hoped he had a few months left with us, but consultant has said they think he only has a few weeks. Very difficult day here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘How long once chemo stops? And how do you make the decision to stop?’ is closed to new replies.