I need advice – Please help

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  paulapurple 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jash223
    Participant

Hello, I’m a 30 year old female and really scared about my health right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

In January 2018, I took a routine blood test and it showed slightly elevated platelet’s at 388 (reference range 150-379). I got really concerned about it because it had never happened before and everything that I was researching online said cancer.

My doctor said to repeat the test in a month to check the level again so I finally did on Friday morning. The platelet’s were 328. However, on Friday night I had a panic attack because I’m terrified that I have cancer somewhere in my body and I’m just not getting the right tests to catch it. The hospital took another blood test and my platelet’s were 378. I know that blood test results from different labs can vary slightly but I thought that it was only by a few points? How could there be that much of a difference on the same day?

Another problem that I noticed was that my total protein was different also. The results from my primary care doctor were Albumin 4.5, Globulin 3.0. The results from the hospital showed Albumin 4.3, Globulin 3.8. This really scared me. And again, these tests were taken on the same day so how could there be that much of a difference in the globulin? I looked back on older tests from two and three years ago and my globulin was always in the 2 range.

I’m really scared that I could have cancer and something is going on. I don’t know what to do.

greg777
    Participant

Hi Jash,

Welcome to the forum.

I know how easy it is to get stressed out about blood readings, trust me I have been there!

The best advice I can give you is to try not to think about it too much. In my experience, readings can vary by a lot very quickly and different machines can come up with different results. The best bet in my opinion is to trust your medical professionals to tell you if there is something you should worry about. Dr Google can be helpful but also incredibly unhelpful. I would stick with liaising with your GP / hospital contact. That’s not to say you shouldn’t push for answers from them if something is unclear, but also try to trust them to get the right answer for you.

Wishing you all the best,

Greg

paulapurple
    Participant

Perhaps ringing the Myeloma UK Information line would help.

Paula

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘I need advice – Please help’ is closed to new replies.