I need help on what to do for sis.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nippy 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

nippy
    Participant

Hi. My sister has just been diagnosed with Mm..  She’s been told today she will get four months of chemo then stem cell treatment.   I don’t want to Google this so thought best to ask on here.  I want to give her poz info. She’s only 49 and docs said she’s the youngest patient he has had.  Just looking for any Info off anyone who has it or has had the chemo and stem treatment xxx thank you xx

janw
    Participant

Hi, I was only 52 years old when I found out that I had myeloma. It’s such a shock to be diagnosed with any form of cancer, but especially one which cannot be cured and requires ongoing treatment. Your sister will most likely need some time to adjust to the whole situation. She will be thinking about so many different factors, which is daunting when you are first diagnosed. I know that I was concerned about the actual chemo treatment and whether it would be successful, as well as how to tell my children, parents and friends, together with how I would cope with work, finances and

For further information about myeloma, there are a number of good websites such as this one, Myeloma Beacon and a good support group on Facebook. I would avoid the many other sites because some of the information can be out of date and some can be quite depressing. There is a wealth of information on this website about the various drug treatments and stem cell treatment. The myeloma uk nurses are also available to discuss any concerns or issues with you or your sister. I’ve also found the myeloma uk local information sessions very useful to attend because you can find out more about myeloma, the treatment options and future drugs, together with the opportunity to talk to other patients, doctors and nurses.

The good news is that there has been a lot of research and developments in myeloma drugs over the past ten years which have considerably improved the life expectancy for myeloma patients with many individuals living ten years or longer. I undertook four cycles of chemotherapy followed by a stem cell transplant in 2010, which gave me five years of remission. I am currently going through six cycles of chemo which should be followed by another stem cell transplant and hopefully will provide me with more years of remission.

Your sister is very fortunate to have your care and support through this difficult period. I hope all works out well.

Regards
    Jan

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hi Nippy

Sorry to hear that your sister has been diagnosed with MM, it can be a very difficult time at the beginning. Jan’s advice above is absolutely spot. I followed a similar path myself, diagnosed at 59 radiotherapy, chemotherapy and then stem cell transplant. Three years down the line quality of life is much improved.

I would recommend asking the helpline for some of the booklets which are relevant, they are really helpful. Also taking to other patients can be very supportive, there may be a Myeloma support group near to where you live?

They say Myeloma is a very individual disease and that it is a marathon not a sprint.

Hope this helps.

David

annlynn
    Participant

hy love. agree with all jan said s he covered all the inital points. i was diagnosed at 59 cemo then stem cell either month remmision feeling. quite well off on holiday sunday life does get to a sort of normal not like we knew it but ok. hang on in and be there for her my family were my rock and still are. best wishe. annlynn

annlynn
    Participant

sorry that should have said eighteen month remission xx. annlynn

nippy
    Participant

Thank you all so much… Been to see her today and looking better. She starts chemo ( tablet form) on Monday. I read that siblings should get tested x I thank you for your reply and I do wish you all well. Having a chronic disease myself I know it hard not to Google things.  Sadly I did x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘I need help on what to do for sis.’ is closed to new replies.