Impact treatment DTB

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  spk2021 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

frandh5421
    Participant

Hi,
    My partner was diagnosed three weeks ago and will start next week with a combination of Daratumumab, Thalidomide and Bortezomib for four months, then autologous stemcell transplant. I understand that each case is different but would like to hear how other people responded to this, i.e. very unwell or not really (maybe even ableto maintain some normal routines?), immunocompromised, worse days etc. We are not thinking about the SCT yet. Trying to take it per day and tackle this part of the treatment first.
    Thank you,
    Fran.

12fern34
    Participant

Hi Fran I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago and I was put forward for the same chemotherapy,I only managed 3 cycles,then I started to feel unwell,my consultant stopped that chemo stating that my levels were ok.
    I then started harvesting for my stem cell transplant in March then in April I was admitted for the transplant all went well and I was home in 2 and a half weeks.
    I did get an infection in my bowel but this was remedied by antibiotics.
    At home I took each day as it came.sometimes fatigue but I just took advice from my body n took it easy on those days.
    One and a half years on I am leading a normal life.
    My only treatment now is a Zometa infusion every 3 months and my consultant is very pleased with my condition and my blood results are all normal.
    Hope this helps.

frandh5421
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am glad to hear the treatment worked well for you. It must have been such a worrying time.

My partner will start tomorrow….currently still in hospital so at least well monitored, which feels safe.

How long did each cycle last? And did you not present with side effects during the first two cycles? It will be different for everyone but it is good to read how other people experienced this. Thank you again for sharing.

Hopefully, a long remission period ahead for you. 🙂

12fern34
    Participant

Hi Fran each cycle consisted of two weeks on and two weeks off,lots of pills and one zometa infusion a month.
    The first cycle was fine then the second one I suffered a lot of fatigue and after the third it was stopped.
    I hope this has helped and sending best wishes to you both.
    Take care

spk2021
    Participant

Dear Fran

I’m sorry to hear that your husband is in hospital, though as you say, he is being well cared for and obviously in the right place.

It’s a hell of a lot to take in at this early stage, but I think if you read some of posts in this forum, you will see how well many people cope with myeloma and it’s treatment. There’s a ‘treatment’ thread which may be helpful too.

The three drugs you mention are standard treatment, although usually with the addition of Dexamethasone. I was diagnosed c. 2 years ago and started treatment via a trial in January this year. My induction was 4x 3 week cycles of a five drug regime: Velcade (Bortezomib), Lenalidomide (similar to Thalidomide), Isatuximab (similar to Daratumamab), Cyclophosphamide (chemotherapy drug), and Dexamethasone (steroid). In general, I coped well during treatment and had minimal side effects. The worst for me was dealing with the steroid as it wears off and tiredness/fatigue kicks in. As you know, myeloma is a very individual disease and no consultant can predict how each patient will respond to treatment. I was a pretty healthy and reasonably fit 59 year old woman at diagnosis (in my case it was picked up incidentally), and I started treatment at 60 (I was smouldering at diagnosis and chose to delay treatment until necessary, also because my partner became seriously ill that year and underwent major bowel surgery, then my father’s health declined and he died). My haemoglobin was borderline for treatment when I started. General health and fitness is said to help to cope with the treatment, but I think how we each respond depends on so many factors.

Re. continuing life as normal, I know that a lot of people continue to work or go back to work after a break. When I was diagnosed, I was in a sort of transitionary period moving from projects ending to new projects starting. I couldn’t continue with my normal work life which involved travel to far-flung places, including fieldwork in remote areas. I wore many different hats with a range of professional commitments. I did a bit of consultancy work over the past two years, but have now given up all my planned projects and other responsibilities. I never thought I would give up work as it was central to my life, but putting aside the fact that treatment and the associated monitoring and ‘admin’ (emails, phone calls etc) takes up a lot of my time and energy, my priorities have changed completely now that I have myeloma.

I hope this is of some help and wish you and your husband well with your ongoing journey. I do hope you have a good consultant and good care. It’s so important to feel confident that you’re getting the best care available.

Best wishes

S

PS It’s good not to think about the SCT until further down the line. I did the same.

spk2021
    Participant

Re. the above post, I meant to refer to a ‘treatment’ thread in this forum (now edited as I only just noticed that’s possible).

spk2021
    Participant

PS There’s also a side effects thread which may be helpful. Having said this, I found looking in this forum too stressful in the early days, so you may prefer not to dig around too much until the dust has settled. Also, don’t focus on the lists of side effects provided with the treatment information! They have to list everything!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.