Just been advised not to bother with holiday insurance?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi, Just seen the consultant and discussed how to classify me for holiday insurance for Europe – currently on no treatment awaiting a consult with Prof Gordon Cook, St James's, to see if he'll take me for SCT – kidney function now stable at egfr 22-23,light chains not normal ratio – lambda plateaued at 70, 0.03% shown in BMB. Completed 8 cycles of velcade/dex and awaiting options – SCT or small dose of thalidomide my consultant said.
    He said the health card will cover treatment for any illnesses but it will not cover cost of transporting home only. I notice on here everyone seems to take it out and I thought it was for any treatment but if any treatment will be covered do I need it? – I wouldn't be bothered about paying for another flight. I kinda thought it was imperative for me to have but is it?
    Confused
    Rebecca

eve
    Participant

Hi Rebecca

One I think its how you intend to get to EU,and 2 what country you are going to as they all have different rules.
    EG. France will pay for 79 percent of your health care,if you are under pension age ,they like money up front,21 percent canbe a lot to pay out for,if you need doctor,they have a basic emergence charge around 20 euros plus you pay for prescriptions,usually around 30 euros.

Spain you can get stuff at chemist no problem and cheap.Portugul you can go to any clinic and get treatment,you pay for prescriptions. Italy I do not know about.

I have travelled for years with no insurance in our Motorhome,we still do it without exra insurance only card,but with Slim having Myeloma I make sure we are in a 24 hour window for me to drive home.

If you are waiting for SCT you are in remission now!!! You should be able to get insurance with a note put in your file at GP. That you are fit to travel,we did France came back on a Friday went on cruise on Sunday with insurance.

I am sure people will come up with some good company,s,better save than sorry. Eve

tom
    Participant

Hi Rebecca

Well I am in remission and have been for years 😀 am pleased to say.
    I never went away when on treatment? but when I was off it I was off and only with normal Holiday insurance to boot, thankfully I never needed anything while away and I have to admit it was Ok for me.

Tom Onwards and upwards xx

Perkymite
    Participant

It all depends on where you are going as Eve highlighted.

Greece is in the EU but would you really go to Cos with no insurance? However popping across the channel to France might be no big deal.

Personally, I have always been a belt and braces man myself. I am going to France 150 miles south of Roscoff on the 23rd Aug 2013 and I shall be taking out Insurance. My main concern is to ensure that I do not leave my wife with a bill to pay if I have a bad accident and need to be brought back to England.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

rebeccaR
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your input – certainly food for thought – I think my consultant feels mm insurance is overloaded

Perkymite
    Participant

With that I would agree 😀

Gill
    Participant

Who suddenly gets a bad outbreak of mm? We always had the same health insurance as "normal" people when travelling to France Bon Voyage Gill xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Just been advised not to bother with holiday insurance?’ is closed to new replies.