Lack of staff

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bandityoga
    Participant

I am so frustrated with Ian's care in the rehabilation centre. Yesterday he got 10 mins of physio. 10 b…… minutes. Excuse me but I have to rant somewhere. I am considering moving him to a spinal centre in Glasgow if we get a referral as we are going nowhere. I asked if I could pay for a physio to come into the hospital and work with Ian but that isn't allowed.

Keep you posted.

Maureen

eve
    Participant

Hi Maureen

It is one constant battle after another,and the wheels turn ever so slow:-S .i can understand your frustration,how long has Ian been in hospital now ????,
    There is such a thing as an institutionalised patient,even carer,s they coined the phase,for people who were going to end up spending more time in hospitals than home,basically it means you stop complaining after a certain length of time. I hope I am right about your character,do not sit back and accept what is going on.

I do not know about Scotland but I do know about my own health authority,they are having staffing problems on a large scale,they are upsetting staff,who are voting with there feet,politics have entered hospitals,departments and patients are suffering,agencies are filling the gaps,some services are being put into doctors surgeries,all with the general public not having the full picture,its called progress,there only take on public opinion is an opinion poll survey with people not knowing the extent of what is going on.

I feel so sorry for the dedicated staff and patients who are taking the brunt of these changers,but when you hear about directors attitudes, it use to be consultants who were thought of as Gods,but now men in grey suits have taken there place.

I think Ian should have better treatment,I wish you luck. Love Eve

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Eve

It is not the nurse's fault but as you say the men in gray suits. Mor patients and the same number of staff, who try to do their best. Some better than others. Ian is improving and getting stronger. Got 20 mins physio and I do 15 mins with him when I visit. He is trying to lift himself out of the wheelchair and does with a little help. I have asked the staff nurse to ask the consultant if Ian should be moved to a spinal unit but Ian is reluctant to go as it would mean fewer visits as it is further away.

Sorry to hear you had to cut short your holiday and hope that Slim will get a long remission on Revlimid. We go to FVH on Monday to get the results of Ian's bloods and light chains. Hopefully they will not have risen.

Take care and love to you both.

Maureen x

eve
    Participant

Hi Maureen

Sorry to say but institutionalised seems the order for Ian!!!

He has to go to the best place,to help get him on his feet,less visits !!!! But the possibility of not using a wheelchair,to me there is no contest,deep breath, he has to fight,unless the powers that be,have decided no contest.

I can only tell you (if it was me) I would be fighting,the first 6 months are so important,have you asked the important question,
    Get him in a place were he can move forward it is important ,Eve

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Eve

I have asked the staff nurse to have a word with Ian's consultant in Falkirk for his views on Ian being transferred to Glasgow. Now approaching 8 months in hospital and still hampered by bed sore. Ian is learning to transfer from the bed to wheelchair so maybe it won't be too long until he gets home.

How are you both?

Maureen x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Maureen

Sorry Ian is having such a tough time. Is he being given any exercises to do in bed? I have recently started physio again and am amazed how some very small movement, which I do on the bed have helped both my back and my shoulders. Blow what the powers that be say, can't you get a friendly personal trainer to visit Ian. It's his life after all. I am sometimes amazed at all the physio the wounded soldiers get because it is paid for by donations. Hospital physio service stinks in my view. I have never found it very reliable or creative in any of four hospitals where I have experienced it.

So sorry to hear about the bed sore. I do hope they are taking it seriously as they can be very difficult to heal if not kept an eye on.

Lots of love to you both.

Mavis x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lack of staff’ is closed to new replies.