Late onset Lenalidomide diarrhoea.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ted369 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ted369
    Participant

Has anyone been prescribed cholestyramine by their haematologist for late onset diarrhoea caused by Lenalidomide. Husband has been on IRD for 33 cycles but diarrhoea has been getting worse, so has had a few weeks off treatment. Has also had a colonoscopy which showed no problems. Just wondering if anyone else has this and if haematologist prescribed cholestyramine or the gastroenterologist.?

caro
    Participant

Hello ted369
    Yes, I have been on cholestyramine prescribed by my haematologist (well the clinical pharmacist in the haematology department) for nearly a year now, and it has changed my life! But, unlike you, I am only taking lenalidomide.
    I had been struggling with diarrhoea for a while and mentioned it in a telephone consultation. I hadn’t known that it was due to the lenalidomide blocking bile acid reabsorption, and it often starts after taking lenalidomide for about six months.
    I was immediately prescribed cholestyramine, I usually only take one sachet a day, with the meal that contains most fat (cheese sandwich for lunch?). It is quite awkward to take it with an evening meal as it would prevent the absorption of lenalidomide for four hours after taking. So I have a low fat meal in the evening, and that works pretty well (most of the time!)
    I hope you can get it and it works well for you
    Caro

ted369
    Participant

Hi Caro
    Sorry for late reply.Husband has an appointment with gastroenterologist next Monday I think he will be tested for BAM before they will prescribe it. Really frustrating as I think most people who have had it prescribed have had it without test and from their haematologist. Thank you for your reply and I’m glad that it’s helped.Take care and stay safe.
    Ted369

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.