Leicester Royal Infirmary

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dickb 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tonyf
    Participant

Since diagnosis two and half years ago I have been treated at the LRI. Had my SCT and all treatment there.
    Had my three monthly appointment at the clinic today and the whole system has changed, LRI now have a purpose built department for myeloma patients, wonderful, much more relaxed. They are in the process of totally refurbishing the day ward, so the whole department is looking good.
    My visit including blood tests for the myeloma X1 trial took an hour. Can’t fault that!
    Regards to all
    Tony F

dickb
    Participant

Having originally come from Leicester it does not surprise me that the hospital has invested heavily. The whole city over the last 20 years has invested heavily in infrastructure and culture. I remember as a teenager / 20 something, we always went to Nottingham for a night out but now, knowing the violence and trouble that regularly happens at the weekends, I’m happier in Leicester. It’s only about 10 years ago that Nottingham had a major gun crime problem. Anyway I digress. Anyone moving back to the Uk from the continent with MM would be hard pushed to find a better place – not just for medical care but also as a diversely cultural vibrant city.

LCFC are also top of the chanpionship as well 🙂

jeff605
    Participant

Hallo, interesting post, I’ve just posted on the General area, querying whether there is any grading of hospitals regarding Myeloma for excellency, etc, and where to find it if there is. I have been attending LRI for nearly 4 1/2 years, 3 1/2 as smouldering,and over 9 months active.During this time I have rarely been seen less than 1 1/2 hours after appointment time, sometimes over 2 hours late. ( I don’t mind this I understand there are some people much iller than I have been, some of these requiring far longer with the consultant than I do so far) This a also a very busy clinic. I haven’t seen the refurbished ward yet, will be doing so in a few days.
    The staff at all levels are excellent, the one area I – and I am not alone in thinking this – am not happy with is the consultants seeming not to give in depth information easily. Admittedly we probably don’t ask enough questions during the consultancy, but it it a high stress time.For example, I was told I was in semi – remission, with no explaination as to what this meant for me.
    Can’t say much about the football, wrong shaped ball !!

dickb
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

I don’t think the LRI is isolated, it often takes me upto 2 hours to wait to see my doctor at Mannheim. I don’t know what they do at the LRI but here I arrive, within 30 minutes I have blood taken and they wait for the results. If it’s just white cells, platelets and haemoglobin, that’s done in a couple of minutes but normally they do a full check to cover liver enzymes, Kidneys, protein levels. The report they give me comes back with about 35 values on it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Leicester Royal Infirmary’ is closed to new replies.