Long haul travel

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  LizMaywood 11 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

LizMaywood
    Participant

I'm currently in remission following CDT and STC Oct 2012. I know some people have ventured long distances- Helen and Wendy spring to mind! I am hoping to go to Vietnam and Cambodia late Sept/Oct, I've paid the deposit so it all seems rather real now!

Any tips on surviving the flights and any general health tips would be great- did your consultants/GPs give you antibiotics etc to take just in case?

Many thanks, LIz

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Liz

Hope you have a brilliant time – bit green with envy 🙂 frank is 7 weeks post SCT and Frank is also looking forward to a nice holiday. He smouldered for nearly 7 years so we travelled a lot. I am a bit paranoid. We use Quinessence Synergy. We have been using it for years. Before we board flight put a few drops on hanky and just stiff during flight. I also take Dettol wipes on board and wipe everything down. Head rest, chair everything that frank will touch. (Told you I was paranoid). From Frank was diagnosed in 2006 our doctor gave him anti biotics to keep in the house in case he needs the. We always told consultant we were going away and she would give us e ok and a script for antibiotic.

Sorry for going on but I know people on the air craft might think I'm mad but I don't care. I have to say paranoid or not – thank God, but frank has never been ill when abroad

Have a brill time
    Love Jean x

Ps also carried Dettol spray in suitcase and sprayed hotel room. Tolu – paranoid :-/ 🙂

Etta
    Participant

Hi liz I went to Australia last dec 3 months after SCT my doc gave me a course of antibiotics just in case .
    First flight slept most of it second one kept drinking water, stewardess were great gave me large bottles.
    Just relax and enjoy love Etta ..

Helen
    Participant

Hello Liz
    Well done you, like Etta I drank lots, walked round the plane every hour I was awake, watched all those films I never got round to and slept as I could. I didn't eat much. I took a course of antibiotics and a thermometer and took my temp every day just to be sure. My consultant also gave me a course of acyclovir as he thought shingles would be an unpleasant adjunct if I contracted it. I also had a course of 5 heparin injections to have 12 hourly over the flight days, there are needle boxes in the airport toilets so you can dispose of them. I had a letter from the consultant documenting my illness, treatment and medications and enough drugs to support a third world country, in fact they took most of my hand luggage. I had factor 50 and a scarf, insect repellant and lashings of moisturiser. Oh and I had the odd item of clothing!

Best of all I had an absolutely fantastic time and hope you do too.
    Love Helen

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Liz

Vietnam and Cambodia sounds great, you'll be 12 months post transplant and should be fine. Just take normal precautions and vaccinations if needed, drink plenty of water and take a course of antibiotics with you just in case. I went to India when I was out of remission and I was ok. Go for it!

Wendy

Vicki
    Participant

Blimey

I'm exhausted just thinking about it liz….medication, injections, thermometers….clacton on sea sounds good (no offence to clacton :-)). You have a great time, all the usual precautions and a bit extra from the consultant 🙂

Enjoy

Vicki and Colin x

LizMaywood
    Participant

Many thanks for all suggestions- actually I made a typo- SCT was Oct2011- how time has flown! I see consultant on 17th so will be checking what vaccinations etc I should have. Fingers and toes crossed bloods still ok!

Liz

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Long haul travel’ is closed to new replies.