Long term Post STC exhaustion

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  stevety-ni-design-com 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

christineh
    Participant

Hi there everyone. I wonder if anyone else has suffered long term exhaustion following STC? I had mine 2.5 years ago and I still feel exhausted all the time. Really disappoints and frustrates me as I’d hoped to return to work as I LOVE my job but it’s not possible. I’m now a relatively “young” 59 yr old and no way am I ready for retirement but the exhaustion is crippling. Given that the literature indicates you should feel “normal” 6-12 months post STC, I really feel a wimp.

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hi Christine

Sorry to hear that you are still suffering from fatique, I had my Stem Cell transplant like you aged 59, now 67 but still feel tired each day, but put this down to old age. I don’t think you are in anyway alone feeling like this.

They say that having myeloma is a marathon, not a sprint, so it pays to take advice on how best to manage the fatigue. There is plenty of advice available from your healtcare team, Myeloma UK and Macmillan. They also say not to suffer in silence.

Your employer should make reasonable adjustments for you to work following treatment.It may be worth speaking to your Trade Union safety rep if you have one.

I do what I can when I have the energy , and then have a rest ( daytime TV ) when I’m whacked!

Hope this helps
    David

christineh
    Participant

Hi there David – thank you so much for your kind and supportive post.

I’m very lucky in that I (currently) have a patient and understanding employer – never ever been under pressure to return to work – I guess it’s not feeling like I’m doing anything worthwhile is my battle. I appreciate that everyone’s journey is different – I suppose I was very naive to think that I’d come out of this with the same capabilities.

I will take on board your advice and push my healthcare team for more support to conquer this fatigue – though I cannot complain about my care I think it’s easier for them to just tell me that “it’s normal” even though it feels very far from that to me.

It’s probably daytime tv (with the exception of countdown!) that’s driving these feelings!

Thank you again for your reply, I wish you all the best,

Christine

I’m suffering also after 18 months and I’m 55.

I have had great week and then weeks all I want to do is sleep. They tell me my blood is great but I’m not convinced my testosterone level is normal for me. My question is how do they know that it is normal for me?

Since the Stem cell transplant hair is growing in places on my bald head that have not grown in 30 years and my facial hair has gone really soft.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.