Low Blood Counts after SCT

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ellen 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I have not been on this site for a long time but keep up with what is going on. I had my second SCT in October 2014 after relapsing after 18 months. My problem is low blood counts still. My platelets now seem to be stabalising around 26 my neutrophils are at 1 so I have one injection a week and my Hb goes down to just below 9. I had weekly platelet transfusions but not had one for 8 weeks as they are stable at 26 (not great but good for me) and 4 weekly blood transfusions. Has anyone else had problems with their counts as Barts are now talking about maybe a donor transplant. Frightened the life out of me especially as my local hospital said it could take two years for them to recover.
    Thanks for your help
    Kay x

ellen

Dear Kay

I am sorry that, as yet, no one has responded to your post. I hope this won’t put you off posting on the Forum in the future.

Sometimes patients who have had quite a few treatments for their myeloma –  and especially quite toxic treatments such as the high dose chemotherapy used during stem cell transplant – can experience problems with their bone marrow doing its job effectively; that is manufacturing new healthy blood cells. It may take these patients somewhat longer to recover from treatments and sometimes the bone marrow can be  weakened permanently, these patients need to be supported by regular transfusions and growth factors. It is hoped that by supporting the bone marrow in this way that it does begin to recover.

The recovery period following a donor transplant can take time but it is very individual and will depend on the side-effects. Some of these are quite different to the side-effects following a transplant using your own stem cells. The main issue is graft-versus-host disease in which the immune system generated by the donor cells recognizes your own cells as being foreign. However, it is also an indication that a graft-versus-myeloma effect is going on too. There are others on the forum who have had donor transplants and I am sure they would be able to share their experiences with you.

I hope this has been of some help but please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions – I or one of my colleagues will do our best to help. We can be contacted directly by email to askthenurse@myeloma.org.uk or on the freephone Myeloma Infoline on 0800 980 3332

With best wishes

Ellen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Low Blood Counts after SCT’ is closed to new replies.