Macmillan Nurses

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  zasrs 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

brocho
    Participant

I thought I would post this in here tonight after the other days misplacing ! Well after 3 days of sheer torture the pain has eased at last thank goodness!! It was without doubt the worst ever pain , even worse than when mm ate 3 of my vertebrae My instinct tells me it is this wretched tumour getting bigger , maybe only by a small amount , and touching on nerves Last night I thought I was going to crack up comletely as I wandered around the house crying and wailing like a banshee ( I rarely cry ) But today the wonderful Macmillan nurse came to my rescue Not only coming up with alternative pain relief possibilities but arranging for the District Nurses to be on call to give me a pain killing injection if I ring AS all the morphine I took over the last few days had little or no effect it was such a relief to know I can get help , at any time There is nothing worse than being in agony in the middle of the night and feeling there is no-one to call on I really cannot praise the Mac nurses highly enough , their expert knowledge on pain relief amazes me She even spoke about a spinal block as a possibility if the radiotherapy is slow to respond or doesnt work Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight without having to take bucket loads of morphine ! Today I darent go out because I wasnt fit to drive!! Thats my boring up date folks hope everyone is as ok they can be lots of love Bridget x

eve
    Participant

Bridget you have made me cry,and i have broad shoulders,Bridget do as they ask ,
    Go to the hospice and let them get your pain under control.
    You have always told us no one should be in pain time to walk the talk,
    hugs go out to you Eve

Gill
    Participant

I am so pleased that you are more comfortable Bridget. I hope you are now managing to sleep and get some well earned rest

Love from Gillxx

brocho
    Participant

Dear Eve I am so sorry if I upset you and made you cry . Yrs I know I am being a dunce about going into the hospice but I just cant get my head around it yet If I am honest the news about Gaye going whilst in the hospice is still to frsh in my mind .But I have said I will go after radiotherapy if I need to The pain will or should reduce quite considerably after that so I may be able to manage any pain with the painkillers I use already Hopefully there wont be any pain at all Yippee!! Sorry again Eve love Bridget x

gina45
    Participant

Bridget i hope that you are starting to feel a little better, and i hope things start to get better for you. Please look after yourself
    Gina xxxx

lorrainey
    Participant

Hi Bridget,
    I'm so sorry you have been suffering so much, I really hope you are feeling a little better today and in less pain. It's good to hear the Mac Nurses are helping you, they are truly wonderful people 🙂 Take care of yourself and don't be stubborn 😉 lol! Sending you lots of love and big hugs across the channel.

love n hugs Lorraine xxxx

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Bridget

Sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. What comes to mind "practise what you preach". If someone else had posted similar you would be the first to tell them to get it sorted!! Scolding over. I hope you start to feel you usual chirpy self soon.

Love Jean xx

Debs
    Participant

Bridget,

Hope you're doing ok and that the pain is coming under some sort of control – when is your radiotherapy? Make sure you let them help you if that doesn't help. Pain is horrid and if they're offering alternatives you should take them….I'm going to try to get hold of our local macmillan re my neuropathy after your recommendation!

Take care
    Debs x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Bridget

I'm so gutted that you are having such an aweful time. I can understand tears – with so much pain you feel so out of control. I remember being there a year ago. I am so glad that the McMillan Nurses have made some useful suggestions and help is at hand.

I feel very wild, I listened to an Amnerican Webcast about Pain, a few weeks ago. I was thinking of you at the time. Annoyingly I can't find it again, but I will keep trying as the Nurse Practioner gave a very good acount of how different types of pain need different drugs. She was saying that opiates are not effective with certain types of pain. Certainly i have been there. I really feel for you because it is going on so long.

I can understand your feelings about a Hospice, particularly after Gaye's passing, but they do seem to have the expertise and staff and time to help in severe pain. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Much love and many pryers.

Mavis xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Debs I hope you get a quick refferal to Macmillan , it wikk be such a relief for you My nurse came round this week and the first thing she arranged was for the District nurses to come out to give me a painkilling injection of morphine if my usual doses fail to ease the pain Tat in itself was such a godsend as this week I have been desperate , especially in the middle of the night But now I know there is help on hand . She also came up with several suggestions to consider in the future if the radiotherapy doesnt work One of these was a spinal block, similiar to an epidural but if it works I will definitely consider it The hospital has told me radiotherapy could begin next Wednesday , I really hope so not sure how much more I can take !One of the worst things is taking large doses of morphune for breakthrough pain turns me into the equivalent of a junkie!!In the mornings my pupils are smaller than a pinhead! Because it also affects my vision it means I cant drive so I am stuck indoors , I really hate that Fingers crossed we both get sorted very soon Debs love Bridget x

mhnevill
    Participant

Dear bridget

Just thought to say – do dose ourself up well with painkillers before the radiotherepy or it will kill your back. I didn't find my radiotherepists very symathetic. I hope yours are more so and that it works quickly for you.

Love.

Mavis x

Dizzyliz
    Participant

Hello Bridget
    Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time hope the pain subsides quickly!
    When kev had radiotherapy after breaking his sternum it was a great help in releaving
    The pain, so I hope it works for you and also I know the thought of the hospice worries you
    But they are the best when it comes to pain relieve for the individual and putting your mind at rest.
    Look after yourself Bridget and hope you soon start feeling better!

Love & hugs liz xx 🙂

tom
    Participant

Hi Bridget

Well we are nawty aren't we :-0 its a bit like that program "Deal or No Deal" give good advise in the wings but when out front they just become a mess, you know in the wings you would say "Get off to the Hospice it will help" 😀 so get yourself off I have been (just for a visit and to hand in Money) they are great places and honest Folk do come out after they get sorted 😀 some with a little skip in their step 😎

Hope you soon get sorted

Love and Hugs from the Lappins (both) "Onwards and Upwards" xxxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Tom thanks for the laugh – my wrists are well and truly slapped!! I will go into the hospice but not until I see how much difference the radiotherapy makes, the pain might go completely with the RT love Bridget x

tom
    Participant

Hi Bridget

Well you know they aint slapped hard (just a gentle tap) 😀 but you know am pleased I made you laugh:-D it in itself is a healer 😎

I hope and pray the Radio(Lincs FM)Therapy works 😎 and the pain gets the H*ll out of it 😎

Love and Hugs

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxxxxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Macmillan Nurses’ is closed to new replies.