Mattress

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  richfs 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

shaz
    Participant

Could you help on how to buy a mattress suitable for myeloma patients? I have a number of lytic lesions throughout my spine and don’t know where to start looking. Is there any type or make that you have found that might be suitable for my problem

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hello Shaz

Sorry to hear that you are having back problems, but you ask a very good question, especially since we all spend a lot of time in bed. My spine collapsed by four inches when I was first diagnosed and have experienced the same problems. Fortunately, my condition has stabilised with treatment and exercise.

You are probably best talking to your healthcare team first since everyone is different and individual. They may refer you to a physiotherapist who could advise.

I found that placing a board under the mattress helped to give support and also buying a new mattress. Personally I have found the beds used by Premier Inn to be the most comfortable ( no commercial interest) and you can buy them online, but they are not cheap. We have one at home and find it very comfortable.

Another tip … I used the nordic walking poles when I go out to help support my back, again an easy win, but very useful.

Hope this helps.
    David

richfs

Hi Shaz & David,

I was interested to find this thread and wonder if there should be a list of recommendations about furniture. Whilst the medical teams focus on treating the myeloma, we often feel helpless to know how to live with it.

Myeloma UK have just trained some peer-volunteers to assist on this forum. I am one such person and was treated for myeloma in 2019 with VTD and a stem cell transplant.

At my worst, with 3 mild compression fractures in my vertebrae, I found sitting and lying down painful and stressful. A hospital bed with electric motors to raise me up meant that I could get up in 5 minutes rather than 40 minutes and took away the fear of lying down.

As I improved, following treatment, I eventually returned to our double bed which took a bit of time to get used to again and involved trying a few different mattress toppers until we found a good comprimise between firmness for support and softness for comfort.

I also have a ‘traditional’ fireside armchair, which in my mid-forties makes me feel like an old man, but is so much more comfortable to sit in.

I’ll see if I can get some more comprehensive advice going for this very practical aspect of living with a chronic disease.

Best wishes,
    Rich.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.