Mental health care when in hospital

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  greg777 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

vik1
    Participant

Hi, my mum was first diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2002, she is now 67 years old. She has been on many different courses of drugs on each flare up of the disease. We were told that the only treatment available now are drug trials, but unfortunately due to various reasons she lost her place on the two possible trials. She is currently in hospital due to calcium levels being too high and that she is in pain all over her body. She will be having an operation next Wed to strengthen her femur as this could break at any moment. She has been told not to get out of bed due to the risk of breaking her leg. This is now her second week of being bed-ridden and its taking its toll on her mental health. Today she was paranoid that the nurses hate her and are conspiring against her. She is also demanding that she will be discharging herself and going home. I was wondering what mental health help there is in hospitals in this kind of situation, not only for my mum but for me too. I just don’t know how to respond to her as when I tell her that the nurses are here to help and look after her, she gets angry with me. I always knew that her mobility would diminish, but I never thought about her mental health diminishing too. I’m at a loss as to how to support her.

Any advice/support would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

greg777
    Participant

Hi Vik1,

I am so sorry to read about your Mum and I send both you and your Mum warm wishes at this very difficult time.

In terms of the mental health side of things, what size hospital is your Mum in? If it is a major cancer centre, they will definitely have on-site psychiatric and/or pyschological support. You just need to make it known how serious it is. I was having big problems with GvHD after an allogeneic stem cell transplant and I was seen within 24 hours. Things had got pretty bad, and the staff saw the urgency of the situation. If you can show them how critical it is, you should be able to get the support you need.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.