MGUS – maybe changing ?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  graham-c 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

graham-c
    Participant

I haven’t posted recently because nothing much has changed until now.

Having been rolling along with MUGUS quite happily for a number of years I had become quite accustomed to having the regular blood tests with nothing exceptional happening.

Being MGUS I consider that I should not be having symptoms and, any symptoms I do have cannot be attributed to MGUS. My results are what the medical fraternity call ‘unremarkable’ and I would classify myself as being low risk in a low risk category. In fact, because of my last results, I asked if they ever discharged people from their lists.

Normally I was seen by a registrar and had then been handed to a nurse led course whereby I had my blood test reviewed by a nurse who would phone me with the results, which was fine with me as there is no sense wasting resources unnecessarily with others requiring the resources more than me. All that I wanted was the results.

Typically I then get a call from the nurse calling me to attend the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully, because my levels begin at a low level, any increase won’t be too great, but the nurse declined to give me details, which I can understand. I’ll get the details at the appointment.

I do have symptoms, but nothing that I would go to my GP about or automatically connect with myeloma. If the results have increased significantly they may have more significance.

Though it is a little alarming to be called for an appointment at such short notice I still bank on my previous results being so ‘unremarkable’ that they can’t possibly be anything too untoward now.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Out of interest my last results in February 2016, which were my best ever, were

Paraproteins                        3.00

IgG Lambda FLC’s            131.1

Kappa/Lambda ratio           0.08

eGFR                                    54

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by  graham-c.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by  graham-c.

graham-c
    Participant

That was unexpected. I was having blood tests every 3/4 months with a nurse due to call me with results which was a reflection of my very low risk category, and I was happy with that. In fact I had been thinking I might be discharged.

The phone call last week asking me to call in to the hospital suggested that things had changed but, even then, as last my results had been my best ever I doubted that they could become something serious.

Paraproteins                        10.3

IgG Lambda FLC’s            151.0

Kappa/Lambda ratio           0.05

eGFR                                    55.0

Apparently what was significant was the size of the increase in Paraproteins and, their protocol determines that it should be investigated extensively if it is more than 5. I had another blood test whilst I was there and gave a urine sample with another appointment in a month, based on another blood test, with a full body scan and bone marrow biopsy as well.

All this action is a little scary but my PP’s could easily go back down again and it seems improbable to me for a similar rise to take place in a month. Actually if it goes down after all this trouble I’ll actually feel embarrassed.

If it goes up again, then I’ll worry.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by  graham-c.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘MGUS – maybe changing ?’ is closed to new replies.